Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tanders1
Novice
Liked: never

Completely Confused by slow Secondary Backup

Post by tanders1 »

I have my main backups going to local NAS storage with no problem. However, it then does a secondary backup to DataDomain Storage over in France (I am in the United States). To me, the problem does not appear to be the network speed but rather, the reading of each VM. For example, even if a 20GB Hard Drive in a VM has no new data to send over to the DataDomain storage, it can still take over 30 minutes to "read" that drive and move on. What exactly is happening and what recommendations are there to speed this process up? Currently, this is case 02086041 within the Veeam system but since I am in the States, and support is in Europe, the hours of service have been very lousy for me.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Completely Confused by slow Secondary Backup

Post by foggy »

What are the bottleneck stats for the job?
tanders1
Novice

Post by tanders1 »

It says the bottleneck is the Target, but it seems like, looking at the individual VM's, it takes most of the time reading the individual hard disks, and then, barely any of the data actually is copied over. An example bottleneck stat states: Busy: Source 1% > Proxy 1% > Network 1% > Target 98%.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

How DataDomain is added in Veeam B&R? Is it a CIFS repository? Have you specified a gateway server residing on the target site for it?
tanders1
Novice

Post by tanders1 »

The DataDomains are listed as type: EMS DataDomain. Path: ddboost://etc... I do not have a gateway setup on their side in France. It uses my own Veeam server as the gateway here in US.
EugeneK
Veeam Software
Liked: 43 times
Full Name: Eugene Kashperovetskyi

Post by EugeneK »

It's highly recommended to have a gateway server on their side, too. The data mover service would have a potential to improve the performance of these jobs.
Please see https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
Eugene K
VMCA, VCIX-DCV, vExpert
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Correct, with a gateway on target, data will be transferred compressed, which will increase performance in case of a slow link.