Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kahllund
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Kai Kahllund

vLab and surebackup problems

Post by kahllund »

Hi,
I despair at the set of vLab and / or surebackup.
If i try "automatic configure" vLab, everything looks fine but the ping test of the virtual test machine fails.
I think that is right, because the virtual test machine dose not know where to send the answer. The proxy appliance ip is 192.168.1.1 at the isolated network and the virtual test machine has 192.168.179.23 and no route to 192.168.1.0.
So i try to set up vLab manual.
I set the proxy appliance ip to 192.168.177.200 mask 255.255.252.0 at the isolated network and the masqueraded network to 192.168.255.0.
192.168.177.200 is our gateway in the production network.
By clicking ok i get an error "specified mask is invalid".
Ok...
I change the masqueraded network to 192.168.100.0 and click ok. No error...
If i try to start the surebackup task i get an error "error while powering on virtual appliance".
The proxy appliance ip is 192.168.179.10 in our production network with a mask 255.255.252.0.

:?:

someone has an idea???
Alexey D.

Re: vLab and surebackup problems

Post by Alexey D. »

Hello Kai,

First of all, "error while powering on virtual appliance" message says that appliance or its config file got corrupted.
To check whether it's healthy, please use vSphere client to manually reboot it. While it's getting booted, keep an eye at console to catch error messages.
Virtual applicance is healthy if you finally see login prompt. Otherwise, you may try re-creating virtual lab.

Concerning "specified mask is invalid". You get this message when using 192.168.255.0 as masquerade IP and this is an expected behavior.
Let me explain. This IP does not fit the mask 255.255.252.0 you are specifying. With the address 192.168.255.0 you have 2 "odd" bits which are not related to subnet. For example, masquerade 192.168.252.0 would work, and 192.168.100.0 is correct too.

So, please try to re-create your lab and please reconfigure network settings according to my explanation.
Let us know the result!
kahllund
Novice

Post by kahllund »

ok.
I try 192.168.100.x as masquerade network.
Fixed ip in production network 192.168.179.10 with subnet 255.255.252.0.
Fixed ip in isolated network 192.168.177.200 with subnet 255.255.252.0. (our gateway address in the production network)

If i powered on the proxy appliance manually, its not possible to ping the appliance from the production network. Is this right???

If i start a Sure Backup Job i get this errors now:
Starting Virtual Lab routing engine (ERROR while powering on appliance)
Error while powering on appliance

I am a little bit confused because the proxy appliance powered on.

My backup-server is windows 2008 r2 64-bit, firewall is disabled and anti virus is disabled too.

???

thx
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2709 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Kai,

I suggest contacting our technical team directly for a quicker assistance, as we need to review your surebackup log files to shed some light on the issue.

Thank you!
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Kai,

Looks like something went wrong with your network infrastructure settings.
If you assign a static IP for 'production' interface of appliance, it should be pingable from the same subnet.
Actually, you get this error "Error while powering on appliance", because B&R server cannot contact the appliance (however it may be seen as powered on).

Please double-check your settings, you may also try to re-bind IP or even use DHCP.
Also, try to reboot the appliance and take a look at its console - there should be a login prompt after boot.

If nothing helps, please work with our support, as Vitaly has suggested.
kahllund
Novice

Post by kahllund »

The update to 5.0.1 has eliminated all the problems.

thx
Alexey D.

Post by Alexey D. »

Thanks for posting back!