Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
trackaddict799
Novice
Liked: never

Virtual lab VM's retaining Prod IP

Post by trackaddict799 »

I expected my replica VM's within virtual lab to retain their production IP and just be hidden via the NAT VM behind the masquerade IP.
However, the assigned IP's to my replica VM's are changed to the masquerade subnet. At least from the vSphere VM summary page.

What am I missing here?
trackaddict799
Novice

Re: Virtual lab VM's retaining Prod IP

Post by trackaddict799 »

Our goal is that all 6 VM's within the Virtual lab need to communicate to each other, as if they are still on the Prod network.
And all the Veeam pics of Virtual Lab shows the VM's with same IP. So that's what I was expecting.

It's working and I can get to the Virtual Lab VM's via the masquerade IP, but not sure they will know about each other if on different IP's.

I'm sure I'm just thinking about this all wrong so thanks in advance for setting me straight :)
trackaddict799
Novice

Post by trackaddict799 »

So how many people have actually restored replica VM's into a Virtual Lab?

I was hoping this was a simple question.

PROD IP range = 10.1.1.1-10
MASQ IP subnet = 10.100.1.X
So then I would expect all my replica Virtual Lab VM IP's to be reconfigured as 10.100.1.1-10 within the MASQ IP subnet range?
larry
Veteran
Liked: 97 times
Full Name: Larry Walker

Post by larry » 1 person likes this post

I drop Vs in the lab and they do as you expected. I can ping each VM from the other with there normal IP.
"I expected my replica VM's within virtual lab to retain their production IP and just be hidden via the NAT VM behind the masquerade IP."

The masquerade address can be used from the veeam server to contact that IP, I use remote desktop to the masquerage address.
DaveWatkins
Veteran
Liked: 97 times

Post by DaveWatkins » 1 person likes this post

The masq IP's are how you access the VM's from _outside_ the virtual lab. The virtual lab appliance does NAT so things outside the lab don't see IP conflicts and things inside the lab can still get internet access for example. The VM's will come up with the same IP addresses they had when in production so that things like domain controllers are still in the same place for other servers to get DNS from. This means you need to build all your normal production networks in the virtual lab so the servers can be connected correctly