aaron@ARB
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: ARBCorporationPtyLtd

Renaming Backup Jobs Keeps Existing Backup Chain Name

Post by aaron@ARB »

Consider the following

1) Create and run a job called "TestJob"
2) Confirm that Backups -> Disk ->TestJob shows the backup.
3) Rename the job to be "TestJobNameChange" and re-run.
4) Confirm that Backups -> Disk -> TestJob shows the VBK full and the VIB Incremental.

Given that the job has been renamed, the disk backup and chain will continue to hold the old name until current chain is deleted.

I can imagine why this is the case as its all database driven etc, but I think it would be good to warn the user that while you can change the name of the job, the corresponding backups will have their old name until its deleted and re-created.

thoughts?

Cheers,
Aaron
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Renaming Backup Jobs Keeps Existing Backup Chain Name

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for your feedback. And an interesting idea. How would you imagine such a warning? With a pop-up? With (renamed) somewhere next to the job or something? Your idea (and everyone else) would be appreciated

Thanks
Mike
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

hi Mike,

It comes down to how much effort you want to go to :). A simple MSGBOX would suffice to warn the user(s), or at the other end of the scale, rename the backup chain to match the corresponding new job name including the file names on disk as well as your internal db records and UI displays.

Cheers,
Aaron
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Aaron,

A simple msgbox would be indeed enough to warn the user that is renaming the job, but if there are more backup admins involved they won't notice it. Renaming the backup chain is probably a lot of work so that might not be doable that easily I'm afraid. But maybe there are other ways of showing (in the UI) that the name of the backup files is not the same as the backup job name could also be a possibility... I am not sure to be honest on the effort needed
aaron@ARB
Expert

Post by aaron@ARB »

I'm sure there is something in between all that which is achievable, just raising that the workflow could be better handled. something for later versions...