Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
jeancharles
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jean-Charles DEMARQUE

Question about clustered app

Post by jeancharles »

Hello,

I have two Red Hat Servers that host multiple Oracle instances protected by HP Service Guard that balances them from one host to the other.
My question is would it be possible to treat the service guard instances as a target and know when I want to restore data where to find it ?

HP Service Guard mounts iSCSI volumes to one or the other host, and leaves an empty mount point when not active.
A pre/post job could list which instance is mounted on each host for example each day ?

Thank you for your answers,

Regards,

Jean-Charles
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Question about clustered app

Post by PTide »

Hi,
My question is would it be possible to treat the service guard instances as a target
Not sure if you meant "target" as a "repository" or as a "stuff to backup", please clarify.
A pre/post job could list which instance is mounted on each host for example each day ?
Yes, it can do whatever you specify in the script.

I'm not quite familiar with HP Service Guard, could you describe youre whole plan step-by-step please?

Thanks
jeancharles
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jean-Charles DEMARQUE

Re: Question about clustered app

Post by jeancharles »

Hello,

Thank you for your answer, so the backup "source" should be a HP service guard instance to know where the active production data is and make sure it is in the right place. Else I backup two nodes, and have to look in each to see where my data was located at the backup time.

HP Service guard is like a "clusterd" service that can balance services between different hosts :
https://www.hpe.com/us/en/product-catal ... 62060.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_Serviceguard

I am trying to look at the problem both ways, from the linux source server side with a script writing down the active node at the backup time to know which backup is the good one, and if we can manage the veeam agent for linux nodes as a highly available device and make sure I backup not a server but a service.

Jean-Charles