Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ashman70
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Both

DR site questions

Post by ashman70 »

I am planning the design of a DR site which will have a host for replicas across a private WAN however I also want to have local backups. We will be upgrading from Veeam enterprise to enterprise plus to take advantage of the WAN accelerator. Is there a way to build a backup from local replicas or is the best thing to seed backups or backup copies across the WAN? I want to be in a position to have replicas and backup at the DR site. Also if I want to be able to run a Sure Backup and Sure Replica jobs at the DR site then I assume I will need Veeam to be installed on a physical host with requisite CPU and RAM to handle these jobs? The speed of the connection on the private WAN will me 100MB MPLS.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: DR site questions

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

I think it would be interesting that you read through this: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
This could be a good solution for your strategy I think

Hope it helps
Mike
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Ok so I am still a little confused. If I do remote replica from backup, can the backup still be physically located in the production site? Will I be able to do the remote replica from backup over my 100MB/s connection? Or will I have to copy the backups to the DR site to do the remote replica from backup?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

My apologies. I misread something in your first post. I thought you wanted to have backups locally at the DR site. Wrong assumption from my side.

So if I understood it correctly (please let me know if not...) you want to have backups at the production site, and replica's to the DR site. Correct? Or do you want to have local backups at the production site but also backups located at the DR site? (And then a replica there also)

Thanks
Mike
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Ideally I would like to have both replicas and backup at the DR site, if there is a way to create backup from replicas then that would be great also.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

You can do it either way, remote replica from backups stored on production site is also possible, with WAN acceleration, if required. Or you can have remote (WAN-accelerated) backup copy first and then replicas from it. Backups from replicas are also possible, though some limitations apply.
ashman70
Expert

Post by ashman70 »

Right now we have a Veeam enterprise license with two hosts, production and a host for replicas. When we add a third host at our DR site, will I be able to add that host to our Veeam setup or are there any licensing restrictions?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

Have a look here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95
By the number of CPU sockets on managed hosts.
You must obtain a license for every occupied motherboard socket as reported by the hypervisor API.
License is required only for source hosts — hosts on which VMs that you back up or replicate reside. Target hosts (for replication and migration jobs) do not need to be licensed.
But obviously, if you add host 3, and it has source VMs on it, you will need to license it also

Brgds,
Mike