Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
UCLCHBO
Novice
Liked: never

Health Check

Post by UCLCHBO »

Hi

I was looking at our veeam backupcopy setup and noticed that we have monthly scheduled health checks to run on our jobs.
When exactly is it "worth" to run health checks.

The reason i ask is that the current way we have our setup with backup copy jobs is we have 1 full backup and 6 increments.
So the way i see it, that means that during a normal month we would have around 4 cycles of backup copies, but only on one of them would we actually get the health check done.

So my questions are:
1st, is my understanding correct
2nd, if my understanding is correct, would we need to change the health check to weekly to actually benefit from it, or are health checks more intended for people who has a lot of retention points, like 1 full backup and 30 increments.

Hope i'm making myself clear and i hope you can answer my questions :)

Kind regards.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Health Check

Post by foggy »

Health checks are primarily recommended for scenarios where synthetic backup is used and data is not read from source storage periodically (primarily forever forward incremental backup method), to prevent possible block corruption. Do you have the "Read from source..." check box enabled?
UCLCHBO
Novice

Post by UCLCHBO »

Do you have the "Read from source..." check box enabled?
No we do not, and i can't enable it on our jobs as we're not using GFS (on most jobs), just 7 restore points.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You can configure more frequent health checks, if you want, but I'd also recommend to consider testing backups produced by the primary backup job with the help of SureBackup.
UCLCHBO
Novice

Post by UCLCHBO »

So just to be sure i understand.
The way we're currently doing it isn't really beneficial for us right? For the health check to work we would need to do it once a week right?
ferrus
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 43 times

Post by ferrus »

Sorry to hijack the thread - but there's another Health Check post this morning, and we still have a similar outstanding issue with our Health checks (1 VM health check takes almost 2 weeks :shock:)

Taking the reverse of UCLCHBO's question: If you enable the "Read from source ..." option, and schedule weekly backups into a GFS schedule - is it safe to disable Health Checks entirely?
(this is for Tier 2, DD backup copies)
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

UCLCHBO wrote:The way we're currently doing it isn't really beneficial for us right? For the health check to work we would need to do it once a week right?
Health check will work anyway, but it's up to you how frequently you want it to check your backups.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

ferrus wrote:If you enable the "Read from source ..." option, and schedule weekly backups into a GFS schedule - is it safe to disable Health Checks entirely?
(this is for Tier 2, DD backup copies)
Provided entire VM data is periodically read from source, health checks are not that necessary.