Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
stewsie
Expert
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Paul

Backup Health check taking a long time

Post by stewsie »

Hi

I have a health check that has been running for 24 hours and is only at 26%. Is there anything I can do to speed this up as at this rate it will take around 4 days to complete and this is a critical system that is now not being backed up.

Backup is configured as Incremental with 56 retention points and a monthly health check. Last month I seem to recall it completed in around 36 hours
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Backup Health check taking a long time

Post by PTide »

Hi,

What kind of repository is used for that backup chain? Also I'd recommend you to schedule intermediate fulls (weekly for example) in order to reduce the length of the chain that is a subject to health check.

Thank you
stewsie
Expert

Post by stewsie »

CIFS repositories and I had read many recommendations about not doing weekly fulls. Given the amount of data weekly fulls may not be an option. I will review and may have to try that.
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Please disregard my previous post as it slipped from my mind that health check cannot be enabled on a chain with periodic fulls enabled, sorry for confusion.

Regarding the initial problem - what kind of connection do you have between the gateway server and the server where the CIFS share is actually hosted? Also what is the size of your .vbk file and what is the average size of your incrementals?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

And what is the underlying storage this CIFS share resides on?
stewsie
Expert

Post by stewsie »

vbk size is 7.5TB and the average incremental is around 100GB although a few have been much larger than 100GB

EMC 5300 storage

The connection is 10GB ethernet

The health check completed after 45 hours 40 minutes
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Do you have any kind of performance statistics for your EMC? Also that would be interesting to know how much data has been transferred between the gateway and EMC during health-check.

Thanks