Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
mitchellm3
Influencer
Liked: 8 times

VEEAM Dashboard for tuning [Feature Request]

Post by mitchellm3 » 1 person likes this post

Has VEEAM given any thought to helping us tune our backup jobs by giving us a dashboard or at least giving us the information on how many "concurrent tasks" we are using? For instance, at our largest site we have 8 physical proxies with 6 having 36 cores and 2 having 24. Then, each proxy server has multiple repositories of which we set a number of concurrent tasks...lets say we pick 18 for each repository. It would be great to see how many of the concurrent tasks we are using at any given time at the CPU and repository level. This way we can tune those numbers. We use StoreOnce which means we don't use VEEAM for any dedupe...just catalyst. Most of our proxies our barely touching the CPU resources given to each proxy. So those numbers we can tweak. However, it would be nice to know if our bottleneck is the CPU threads or the repository threads. If we are sending 3 jobs with 120 VMs at the same repository, then we'd be pegging the repository threads all the while having many CPU threads still available. Then we'd know to run more jobs using different repositories. At this point it is pure speculation. Even when support gets on the line to help us with performance issues I think you can hear them counting on their fingers and toes how many threads we are using. We've all been there and wished a nice dashboard could be presented on each proxy with CPU and repository threads used. Also, if VEEAM could break those numbers down on a per job basis that would be even more useful.

Thoughts?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: VEEAM Dashboard for tuning [Feature Request]

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Mitchellm3,

I moved the topic to Veeam ONE. I am sure this is a better place to discuss this feature request
Cheers
Mike
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Hello mitchellm3,
Mike is correct as monitoring and analysis of backup processes are mostly performed by Veeam ONE.
In Veeam ONE Monitor you can review running tasks as well as proxy and repository real-time and historical data.
Such reports as Backup Infrastructure Assessment and Backup Job Historical Information are to help identify bottlenecks.
Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

These dashboards can also give you some overview of the resources you use > Veeam Backup & Replication Summary Dashboards
mitchellm3
Influencer
Liked: 8 times

Post by mitchellm3 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I did take a look at some of the links and dug down into some of the graphs. It seemed like most of them focused on the CPU, RAM, Network and Disk throughput. That is good and all but I could get that info from other sources. I would really like to see performance based on the "available threads" during a backup. Another example of a use case would be if I had a proxy with 36 CPU threads and only one repository with 18 threads. If I tried to backup 500VMs and I watched the performance, I'd notice first off that the backup would take a long time. Second, I would notice that my CPU would barely be touched. I might think I could speed it up by increasing the CPU threads for the proxy to 72. This of course would do me no good because the whole time the actual bottleneck was the 18 threads on the repository. Now in real life we have multiple repositories for each proxy. Each of those have "concurrent tasks". How used each one is depends on what type of backup job is running. So hopefully you can see how it would be beneficial to see the active "concurrent tasks" on a per proxy basis at the CPU and disk level. I'd rather see a counter rather than dig into each backup job and count the disks of the active VM backups within multiple jobs and correlate them to the storage repositories and their active thread counts.

Can VEEAM One do this? A historical view would be nice but I think real time is more valuable. This would explain why VMs and jobs are in a pending state.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

First of all, if you want to speed up the jobs, it`s better perform bottleneck analysis as proxy and repositories may be not the weakest part of the backup data flow.
As for your request, you can open Veeam ONE Monitor > Data Protection View, and review CPU/Memory performance of the desired proxy server. There is an option to review the resource usage by backup jobs.
I`ve get your other request and we are planning to extend the resource usage analysis and scheduling in the next product versions.