Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dyna
Novice
Liked: never

Retry of incremental backup changes to active full

Post by dyna »

I have an incremental backup starting 22:00 and with active fulls on friday.
If in the thursday night backup VMs will fail in the first try, it will be retried but after midnight making it officially friday and the backup of those VMs will change to active full. It's not even trying to hide it, the job log entry will simply change from "Backupname (Incremental)" to "Backupname (Active full) (Retry 1)".
The problem is that if it happens changes are it's on big VMs like fileservers and causing extra delays for possible backup copy jobs, in our case turning a backup+copy from a 7 hour run into an 18 hour run.

I could change the schedule of course but i'm guessing this is not intended behavior but correct me if i'm wrong.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Retry of incremental backup changes to active full

Post by foggy »

I'd say the behavior is expected from the product perspective, since you have active full scheduled for Friday and the first job run on this day should be full. Though this might not be fully expected from the user's perspective, so I will discuss this internally.

Anyway, full backup shouldn't affect backup copy job, since it copies only changes regardless of whether the latest restore point is full or incremental.