Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rosenstand
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Allan Rosenstand Larsen

CBT Error on backup, after 9.5 Update 1 and vSphere Error

Post by rosenstand »

Hi all

The other day I updated my B&R 9.5 with update 1.
The update went through with no errors, on all my Proxy servers.
Later that night, when the jobs started, I got errors about wrong username / Password on accessing to my vCenter.
Updated the password, and jobs completed correct again.

Next day I run into the error of vSphere Database where full, and because of this, all backup jobs ended with errors, even while some VM was proccessed correct.
I had to manually delete more than 25 temp snapshots from the VM, because these wasn't clean up correct when the job went into error.

After this, all jobs again ran correct.
Right until now.

Tonight I can see this error on some of my VM in one jobs getting this error:
12-03-2017 19:11:25 :: CBT data is invalid, failing over to legacy incremental backup. No action is required, next job run should start using CBT again. If CBT data remains invalid, follow KB1113 to perform CBT reset. Usual cause is power loss.
Other VM at the same jobs have finished with errors like this:
12-03-2017 18:34:34 :: Error: An error occurred while communicating with the remote host.

For now it seems that only one jobs are getting me these errors, but I don't understand why I starting to getting so many errors at once.

Any good ideas out there?

Thanks

R.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: CBT Error on backup, after 9.5 Update 1 and vSphere Erro

Post by Gostev »

Hi Allan, well clearly something has corrupted CBT files for VMs on that datastore - either said lack of space or some storage malfunction you are not aware about. It's impossible to guess what exactly, you may want to open a support case with VMware to have them diagnose that. From Veeam perspective, all we see is bad CBT data. Thanks!
rosenstand
Veeam ProPartner

Post by rosenstand »

Hi Gostev

Thanks for your feedback.

At the same time, as I created this post, I saw something else, there points the problem into another way.
My vCenter SQL Database have now again ran full.
My vCenter are using SQL Express to its database, and because of this the DB file size are limited to 10GB.
And again it ran into this limit...

I empty the DB in Tuesday, and got the size of the file down to 2,1GB.
And now it was up to 10GB again.

So my problems are all related to this DB getting filled up in 5 days.
This have happend right after Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 1, as this are the only changes I have made to my VMware installation.

Any ideas about this problem?!

I have just empty the file again, getting it back down to 2,1GB.

Thanks

R.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No idea, as it has not been reported by anyone else before... but if the issue was with the SQL database, the error would say this and it would affect all jobs not just one - so you can be sure it's not because of SQL.
rosenstand
Veeam ProPartner

Post by rosenstand »

Hmmm....

I'm not getting any errors about SQL servers in the B&R logs in the GUI, but it seems a bit strange that the DB size are filled up in 5 days with more than 7GB of information.

I will create an case with Veeam, to see if they can help me figure out the cause of the problem.
Because as I started with, the only change to my entire setup are the update of B&R to 9.5 Update 1.

Thanks

R.
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer »

Perhaps your VC database ran full because somewhere in your environment you have severe problems (not caused by Veeam) which leads to a large amount of logs... A full SQL database should have nothing to do with CBT!