Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend
Liked: 34 times
Full Name: Marco Sorrentino

EMC - poor GFS Backup to tape performance

Post by mamosorre84 »

Hi,

we have Veeam B&R 9.5 Update 1 installed on a phisycal server, with an EMC Data Domain DD2200 OS 5.6 as primary target, connected with 1GB eth.

We have configured a backup to tape job recently with GFS configuration. The library is a Dell Power Vault with LTO6 drive, connected directly to Veeam Server with FC 4GB.

Today we have run a test, and the processing rate is about 30 MB/s, the bottleneck is the source (about 49%).

Is it a correct data for you or can we improve the performance in some way?

What can we verify/optimize to get this goal?

Thank you

Marco
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: EMC - poor GFS Backup to tape performance

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Marco,

So, tape server component is installed on top of Veeam B&R server, is that correct? How Data Domain gateway is configured?
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend

Post by mamosorre84 »

Hi Dima,

it's correct, Veeam Server holds all roles.

The Data Domain is on the same network of the Veeam server, same gateway.
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend

Post by mamosorre84 »

Hi,

we have upgraded Data Domain OS to 6.0, this is the EMC compatibility guide http://compatibilityguide.emc.com:8080/ ... idePage.do (the Veeam server is Windows 2008 R2 x64).

Now the backup to tape performance are worsened, 1 MB/s!

Does anyone have the same problem?

Thank you.

Marco
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Marco,

I believe it’s time to open a support case and investigate this performance issue with our engineers. Please update this thread with the case ID if you have one.
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend

Post by mamosorre84 »

Hello Dima,

yes, I've already done it: Case # 02063279

Thank you

Marco
mlott@gie.com
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Miles Lott

Post by mlott@gie.com »

Our performance is similar on an 8G FC network, DD2500, OS 5.4.2.1. I have heard that the copy to tape uses Ethernet instead of FC. I am not certain this is true.
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend

Post by mamosorre84 »

After several days of test, log collection and webex, the last instruction that Veeam support provided us is to open a case to EMC support.
It's a very unpleasent situation, because we have verified that the problem is the interaction between Veeam backup software and EMC DD Boost feature.
I would have preferred that Veeam engineers had worked with EMC engineer, I hope they have a "preferred contact line" considering that they had developed a lot of feature togheter.
Shortening my thoughts, I'm very disappointed of this situation.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Marco,

I reviewed the case history and wanted to say thank you for opening the case with EMC support. I believe our support team together with EMC will find the root cause of this performance issue – investigation goes faster when all the vendors are involved.
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend

Post by mamosorre84 »

Hello Dima,

I hope it will be as you said..

This is the last EMC response: https://support.emc.com/kb/470374

Issue

Read performance is poor on a DD2500 system.
Cause When using systems with no external shelves and only disks in the head unit, sustained read performance of 45-50MB/s is common. The reason for this low performance is that I/O bandwidth on such systems is extremely limited as they lack additional spindles/controllers across which multiple I/O operations can be performed in parallel. In addition, internal head-unit disks are shared with the DD OS operating system and as such reading of de-duplicated data from these disks also has to complete with normal I/O performed by the operating system (for example writing of log files and so on).

Note that in DD OS performance guides we publish figures for expected sustained read throughput on DD2500 systems (for example single stream reads via CIFS on DD OS 5.5 is shown at 129MB/s). However, these figures were obtained via testing on clean systems with a minimum of three external enclosures. As a result systems configured with less than 3 external enclosures will not be able to obtain similar throughput and as enclosure count drops corresponding read performance degrades rapidly.
Resolution RECOMMENDATIONS: To allow systems to achieve read performance loosely in line with figures documented in DD OS performance guides, DD2500 systems should be configured with a minimum of three external enclosures. Where this is not possible customers should be made aware of the likely impact to read performance to ensure that the system will still be able to meet baseline performance expectations.

WORKAROUND: For systems which have already been implemented with low shelf count and are experiencing poor read throughput, the first step is to perform normal investigations to rule out common causes of poor performance (such as issues in the environment or configuration of the DDR, file system fragmentation, system load, or poor data locality).

Once it has been determined that poor read performance is due to the systems becoming I/O bound during read, the only way in which performance can be improved is to:

Add additional external enclosures (to give increased I/O bandwidth)

Expire existing backup data and run clean (to remove existing data from the system)

Re-write backup data to the DDR

Note that if enclosures are added but data is not rewritten, the systems' read performance may not significantly improve. This is because the DDR will not automatically rebalance data across enclosures and as a result the majority of data will still be being read from existing enclosures so issues with a lack of I/O bandwidth to these existing enclosures will still be apparent.

For Example:
The documented CIFS single stream read performance for DD2500 using a 10Gbps network with the recommended 3 shelves is 129MB/s. However, the multiplier for having 0 external shelves is 0.34. From this we get:
129 * 0.34 = 43.86MB/s which is in line with the number reported in the "CAUSE" section above.

In our case, our read performance is about 1 MB/s (when we are lucky), and only with DDBoost feature, because if we use CIFS share the performance grow up to the fantastic value of 30 MB/s !

Our system is DD2200, I think it doesn't support shelf addiction..
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Marco,

I checked with our support team. I was told that a bug was found at EMC side and, as far as I am concerned, they are investigating it. Please let us know how it goes or if any assistance from our side is required. Thank you.
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend

Post by mamosorre84 »

Hello Dmitry,

it's correct; the issue has been reproduced in EMC labs and it's under investigation now.

I'll update this post when I'll have news.

Thank you

Marco
sdjudge
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Post by sdjudge »

Hi All,

any updates here? Have same Problem, newest DDOS and Tapeperformance arount 1-2MB/s . It seems that there are tranfers only from time to time (peaks are high but timeframes with no transfers are very long so avg Speed is 1-2MB/s). If i did the Same Job from local Disk it goes up to 120MB/s . I know that dehydration takes his time with the older Datadomains but excpected speed is around 20-30 MB/s.

Thanks for any update.
Sven
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend

Post by mamosorre84 » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

we have found a workaround with the EMC support:

#system show serialno

#priv set se

reg set system.NFS_TCP_SNDSIZE=2097168

#filesys restart

These commands increase the windows transmission from 1 MB (default) to 2 MB and restart the filesystem.

It seems to work for me!

Bye

Marco S.
sdjudge
Novice

Post by sdjudge »

Hi,

thanks for fast reply .. will try it instantly ..

Thanks & Bye
Sven
sdjudge
Novice

Post by sdjudge » 1 person likes this post

it Works .. now writespeed is around 50MB/s with a 7 Disk DD2200 ... Thanks for sharing this Information

Sven
mamosorre84
Veeam Legend

Post by mamosorre84 » 1 person likes this post

You're welcome! have a nice day!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,

Thanks a lot for sharing and glad to hear that this performance issue was resolved!