Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
darioj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dario Jakopec

Cannot get vss to work on v5

Post by darioj »

Hi,
upgrading from v4.2 I've noticed that Application-Aware Image Processing is not working anymore for me.
The backup job runs in virtual appliance mode, I can see the user I provide login successfully through vcenter
into the backup target but still vss isn't used (nothing in application log). The report shows this error
Starting guest agent
No such host is known
Freezing guest operating system
Veeam Guest Agent is not started
I remember that on v4 I had to make sure that remote registry service was running on targets for vss to work
but seems like this isn't enough anymore. I've tested this also making a few new jobs for MS SQL and Active Directory
with local admin accounts but no luck. Anything I might be missing?

Regards
Dario
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6691 times

Re: Cannot get vss to work on v5

Post by Gostev »

darioj wrote:No such host is known
Looks like DNS issue
darioj
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dario Jakopec

Post by darioj »

You are right Gostev, fixing dns resolution to targets did it.

What was going on:
this setup has two distinct domains, one in active directory for vsphere components and the other
in bind for regular virtual machines. The backup server was setup to resolve only the vsphere part,
adding the dns prefix for the other domain solved my problem.

So although in virtual appliance mode everything goes through esx I/O stack and there is no network activity
needed between server and targets, the server still needs to find the target by its host name.
I guess that v4 is able to fall back to the ip while v5 relies on the dns name passed by esx which requires resolution.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction
Regards
Dario
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6691 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, there were some major changes introduced in guest agent in v5, specifically it no longer requires direct network connection from backup server to processed guest VM (as it used to be the case in v4), which is a major win. However, apparently this new engine is now more dependant on DNS being properly setup, and working correctly. For example, 5.0 requires reverse lookup zone in DNS to be present, which appeared not to be the case for at least 20+ customers to date... this requirement was removed in 5.0.1 though.