Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
maxideus
Novice
Liked: never

Feature Request: Backup through a NAT'd Gateway

Post by maxideus »

Hello,

I have tested using VAW to backup to an externally accessible VB&R server (through DNS), unfortunately, the job failed because VAW tried to establish a connection using the LAN IP of the VB&R server.
3/8/2017 8:20:54 AM :: Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.xxx.xxx:2500
It would be incredibly useful to allow VAW to use the specified server during the backup job creation, in my case, it was an external DNS name. When I asked Veeam Technical Support, they mentioned it was a limitation of Veeam being unable to run backup jobs through a NAT'd gateway.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Feature Request: Backup through a NAT'd Gateway

Post by Dima P. »

Hi maxideus,

Direct backup from VAW to VBR behind NAT is supported as a part of direct backup to Veeam Cloud Connect feature. You can backup directly to existing service provider or get a service provider license for your VBR. Additional type of license - Veeam Cloud Connect for Enterprise also has this functionality.
maxideus
Novice

Post by maxideus »

Thank you for the reply Dima.

I have setup my Cloud Connect on my VB&R server. My trouble now is that VAW does not recognize the server as a service provider? I don't get the option to specify a service provider like in Step 10 in the user guide. https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=20

Screenshots:
http://imgur.com/a/iUeM7

I have ensured that there is a Cloud Gateway, Tenant, and Repository setup. The repository has no permission restrictions during this testing.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Maxideus,

Did you use the registry key on the CC server?
Add the following registry value on Veeam Cloud Connect 9.5 Update 1 server to enable VAW support: AllowBetaAgentAccess (DWORD) = 1
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

maxideus,

Make sure you are using VAW 2.0 BETA (not VEB). Next, double check that VAW workstation or server license is installed locally on agent (Control Panel > About > Install license).
maxideus
Novice

Post by maxideus »

Hello there, yes I am using VAW and it has a workstation license allocated to it.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

If workstation license is installed locally on agent, go to Configure backup > Destination step. Choose Veeam Cloud Connect repository and type in the IP address of your cloud gateway (should be configured on the VBR side).
maxideus
Novice

Post by maxideus »

Just an update for anyone following this thread. The problem was my VAW agent still contained old licensing information making it think it was managed by the VB&R server. What I had to do was rebuild the VAW database using the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veeam\Veeam Endpoint Backup

There's a REG_DWORD called RecreateDatabase --> Change to 1

Restart your Veeam Agent and then install the correct license which NEEDS TO BE LOCAL to the machine you're backing up.