Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
StevenMeier
Enthusiast
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Steven Meier

Virtual Lab Question...HELP--static ip mapping

Post by StevenMeier »

Hi Folks.

Setting up a virtual LAB so I can do some patch testing.

Now I use surebackup and the sure replica for testing with no issue. This one has me a bit stumped.

The virtual Lab Appliance as an IP of 10.64.20.72

Our backup Server that will supply the vm data has an IP of 10.64.20.10

All this works fine in firing up a vm just to to heart test verification.

The vm's being tested are on a public IP range as they are public facing and have a public ip address and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.224 (I think this may be the issue)

I have assigned the GW to the LAB virtual Appliance for the above network and all works well.

The fired up test server can ping in the isolated network the public IP GW it has....so all good.

The masquerade ip address for this isolated network which is mapped to the GW ip address is 192.168.255.224

Now does this network have the same subnet mask as the production network which is 255.255.255.224 ?

Or does it have a standard 24 bit mask so would be 192.168.255.0 as a network ?

I then add to backup Server a static route via the route add command

route add 192.168.255.0 mask 255.255.255.0 10.64.20.72

I can obviously from this server ping the virtual lab production address of 10.64.20.72 fins as on same network....but get no response to tracert or ping to the 192.168.255.244 which is masquerade GW address

is the subnet mask the cause of this....bit lost here
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Virtual Lab Question...HELP--static ip mapping

Post by PTide »

Hi,

I'm a little bit confused with your setup and need some clarification, if you don't mind.
Now does this network have the same subnet mask as the production network which is 255.255.255.224 ?
Which one did you specify on the Network Settings step when you were configuring Virtual Lab?
I can obviously from this server ping the virtual lab production address of 10.64.20.72 fins as on same network....but get no response to tracert or ping to the 192.168.255.244 which is masquerade GW address
Are you trying to ping Proxy Appliance IP in the isolated network from your backup server? If so then why? What IP does the real GW have?

Thank you
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd »

@StevenMeier, I don't think you can ping into the isolated network from the outside - it's been quite a while since I've done anything with SureBackup. If I remember correctly, the machines within the isolated network can have limited outbound access to the public internet if static mapping have been set up.

If this helps...

-MD
tdewin
Veeam Software
Liked: 646 times
Full Name: Timothy Dewin

Post by tdewin »

You don't have to add the static routing yourself. The "route add" command on the backup server is done automatically. It's only if you want to reach a test VM from another machine in the same subnet as the backup server, that you can add it to reach those "masked vms". Why in the same network? You core router doesn't understand the Veeam masquerading layer so it doesn't know how to forward it to the router.

However if you want to map an external ip to an internal ip aka static ip mapping (are you talking about this https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 ?) then the IP you want to use should be on the same subnet as the backup server and the appliance. This because packages will be intercepted on the same interface as the production network that you defined here. In this case, that IP can also be reached by a machine that has not the "route added" because the appliance will NAT a production ip to the internal ip
StevenMeier
Enthusiast
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Steven Meier

Post by StevenMeier »

I should have updated as shortly afterwards I worked it out....The masquerade IP address also has same subnet mask and the first address is the network address...so once sorted that I could ping into the lab and rdp the isolated the machines....Working well.

Cheers
Steve