Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
doalwa
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dominik Wagner

Veeam integration components need to be upgraded?

Post by doalwa »

Hi everybody,

I'm experiencing the following issue with one of our customers.

The scenario is as follows: Customer was using a stand-alone MS Windows Server 2008 R2 Std. host serving up four HyperV VMs.
Veeam Backup & Replication V9.5 Update 1 was installed. The host machine is a HP ProLiant ML350 G6 server.

There were two backup jobs which backed up said VMs daily to rotating USB drives and once per week to a QNAP NAS.

So far, so simple.

Three weeks ago I migrated the customer away from MS Small Business Server 2008 to a new Server 2016 VM and MS Exchange 2016.

In the process, I also did an In-Place upgrade of the HyperV-Host from Windows Server 2008 R2 to Server 2012 R2 and finally Server 2016, which went pretty smooth.

My only issue is: Veeam no longer works. The Veeam application itself survived those two In-Place upgrades unscathed, however when I try to start a backup, it immediately errors out with the following message:

15.03.2017 16:10:19 :: Error: Source host srv-hypv-1 requires Veeam integration components to be upgraded.

Problem is, I don't know how I'm supposed to apply this upgrade. I checked under "Virtual Machines" and selected the HyperV host.
The "Upgrade" button is greyed out, however.

I also tried completely removing Veeam, it's associated MS SQL instance and reinstalling everything.
The problem remains.

It's now been close to 14 days without backups and counting...as I'm in the middle of recovering from a Cryptolocker infection at another client, I'm starting to get a little nervous..any hints would be appreciated!

Bye,
Dominik
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Veeam integration components need to be upgraded?

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Dominik,

Can you share a screenshot from the UI of where you are looking for upgrade button?
Did you try to manually delete Veeam components (Veeam Backup Transport, Veeam Hyper-V Integration, Veeam Installer Service) from the host by using Programs and Features snap-in? Once you do this go to the Backup infrastructure -> Managed servers and initiate re-scan of the host.

Thanks!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Prior to deleting components, you can check if they are actually started and also check their versions.
doalwa
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Dominik Wagner

Post by doalwa »

Thanks guys.

I ended up completely removing Veeam including manually removing all folders and Registry entries I could find and also deleting the SQL database.

Reinstalled using the new installation image which includes Update 1 from the get go, added the HyperV host and created a new job..and it's finally working again.

I can only guess that something went wrong during one of those two in-place upgrades...thanks again for your help!