Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
A.Lamsdell
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Antony Lamsdell

Veeam Endpoint compatability withe Veeam B&R 9.5.1

Post by A.Lamsdell »

Hi all,

Seeking some clarification of this years changes to endpoint and Backup and Recovery.

We got around to updating the Backup and Recovery server and since then the linked endpoint jobs no longer work providing an error that it simply "cannot connect" to the backup server. Reading further I found reference to the Veeam agent for windows Beta license causing issues and I believe I have removed it but no improvements have occurred.

Is there something I am missing or is endpoint retired for the purpose of Backup and Replication servers?

Thanks and regards,
Antony David Lamsdell
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Veeam Endpoint compatability withe Veeam B&R 9.5.1

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Antony,

Veeam Endpoint Backup can still connect to the Veeam backup repositories. Do you backup to the regular repository? Do you use both VEB and VAW at the same time?

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

windows Beta license causing issues and I believe I have removed it but no improvements have occurred.
Please check Veeam B&R console > License if you can see Veeam Agent for Windows tab and if agent license is listed there. Next step, in case you are using Enterprise Manage, check for VAW Beta license under Configuration > Licensing
Is there something I am missing or is endpoint retired for the purpose of Backup and Replication servers?
VEB know nothing about VAW license (it does not have this code), so when VAW deployed to VBR - backup job fails.
A.Lamsdell
Influencer

Post by A.Lamsdell »

Vitaliy S. wrote:Hi Antony,

Veeam Endpoint Backup can still connect to the Veeam backup repositories. Do you backup to the regular repository? Do you use both VEB and VAW at the same time?

Thanks!
We're only utilising VEB at the moment
Dima P. wrote:Please check Veeam B&R console > License if you can see Veeam Agent for Windows tab and if agent license is listed there. Next step, in case you are using Enterprise Manage, check for VAW Beta license under Configuration > Licensing...
The B&R license windows doesn't include a VAW tab, we aren't using Enterprise manager either.

Some extra information:

When trying to connect to Veeam via endpoint the following message is displayed

If you try to connect with the wrong credentials it will confirm that they are wrong.

Currently, I am sending the most important VEB job to a share on the Veeam server which is running fine and communication between the two physical servers works fine, just not to the VBR application.

We have around seven physical boxes using VEB to send data to our UK Veeam server, all of which now fail implying it's a change to the Veeam B&R server itself, but I can't find any trace of a possible VAW license that might be causing the block.

Thanks and regards,
A.Lamsdell
Influencer

[SOLVED] Veeam Endpoint compatability withe Veeam B&R 9.5.1

Post by A.Lamsdell » 1 person likes this post

Turns out that upgrading to Server 2016 broke all the trust relationships, but cached passwords were still working on login, but stopped the VEB from functioning as, despite the account authenticating, Veeam couldn't attribute the members of the user group to the associated permission level. Regular Veeam jobs carried on working fine however.

So yeah, pretty strange, shame I didn't notice the user profile issue until now but everything is now functioning fine.

Thanks for your help and if an admin could lock this post that'd be grand.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Antony,

Indeed, very strange but, to be honest, quite interesting issue. Glad you found a solution and thanks for sharing with the community!