Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
SBarrett847
Service Provider
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: Stephen Barrett

Veeam Hyper-V Backup HP 3PAR snapshots

Post by SBarrett847 »

Is there any way to preserve the 3par Snapshots created by Veeam for a period of time? Or even better is there a method for telling Veeam to Schedule 3par snapshot creation?

I'd really like to leverage the Snapshots on the 3Par, as the restores from our StoreOnce are abysmally slow, I'm just wondering if there is anything in Veeam that could help?

Note I'll consider an upgrade to Enterprise Plus if the Snapshot browser proves to be of worth.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Veeam Hyper-V Backup HP 3PAR snapshots

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Stephen - no, currently we don't support this functionality for Hyper-V unfortunately. Are you on Hyper-V 2016 (or are you planning migrating to one any time soon)?
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Post by SBarrett847 »

I'll probably be moving my physical Veeam Proxy to a new 2016 host (Will also serve as a standalone Hyper-V Host on local storage for management VMs) in a few weeks, but my main Hyper-V cluster will remain on 2012R2 for the the foreseeable future.

Can you give a hint as to what prompted the 2016 question? :)
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

The entire backup architecture for Hyper-V has changed in Hyper-V 2016. The new functionality can potentially (not only dependent on us but also on storage vendors and their integration with Hyper-V 2016) lead to new possibilities around backups of Hyper-V. But this might be not so soon to be honest :-)
SBarrett847
Service Provider

Post by SBarrett847 »

OK New question - I have the 3par scheduling its own snapshots (3 per day, expiring after 7 days) - I note to my chagrin that the Storage Snapshot explorer is also VMware only. This rather Vital piece of information is not in ANY of the marketing promoting Enterprise Plus/Storage Snapshot explorer.

Is there anyway at all to leverage existing 3par snapshots in Hyper-V veeam?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Stephen,

There is nothing for Hyper-V. I quickly looked at our main page that talks about Backup from Storage Snapshots but it only mentions VMware?

On this page https://www.veeam.com/san-snapshots-explorer.html it clearly states it is for vSphere Virtual Machines
Mike
StephanG
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stephan G

[MERGED]Best way to use application aware snapshots with an

Post by StephanG »

Hi everyone,

the storage snapshot technology has some big advantages when using VMware. But when it comes to Hyper-V it lacks most of the possibilities.
It can only create a snapshot and then the hyper-V proxy server can save directly from it. (I think)

We have the "allin" software package from 3PAR. So i could install the recovery manager (where also most features are VMware related) or find another possibility to trigger application aware snapshots for LUNs.
HP 3Par recovery software needs also some other agents installed. But why should i do this when i have the best backup software around?

As Veeam is basically doing this.... is there a way to create application aware snapshots from machines every hour but not "backup" them?

In a case of total restore i could promote the snapshot at the 3PAR management software.
In case of incremental restore i could export the RO LUN to Veeam and use the right "explorer".

Best regards
Stephan