Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
ChrisCA
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Chris

Moving repos with Cloud Connect

Post by ChrisCA »

Hi,

Just a quick point/question...

When moving cloud connect backups around I was told to avoid ever rescanning repositories from the cloud connect server, always do it from the tenant -

1. Create a "local" backup copy job and target it at a removable device used as a backup repository, or copy the backup files afterwards. Run the created backup copy job to create a full backup set on this device. Note that also the .vbm file has to be placed on the removable device.

2. Once the backup copy job has finished, disable the job and 'remove from configuration' the local backup copy job backup set from the Veeam console (Backup & Replication -> Backups -> Backups (copy). Then, Transport the removable device with the created backup files to the destination site.

3. The backup files then need to be copied to the target backup repository.

4. Then, Rescan the Cloud Repository on the Tenant side.
WARNING: DO NOT rescan the repository on the Cloud Connect Server.

5. Put in Encryption password if backups are encrypted then map the backup in the backup copy job and select the transported backup — this backup will be used as a “seed”.

This is the instructions I got from veeam support recently (a few weeks ago - all servers were on 9.5 update 1) and they work perfectly. The veeam engineer emphasised not rescanning from the cloud connect server as it can corrupt the database.

Earlier today I found this article - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... tml?ver=95 - which has the opposite advice, rescanning from the cloud connect server. It also has advice that seems out of order in terms of when to re-enable backups.

Is this article ok to follow? We're moving a lot of backups/repos around at the moment and I am running out of time to do it so I want to make sure we're not making mistakes.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Moving repos with Cloud Connect

Post by veremin »

The instructions given by the support engineer are correct. As to the referenced user guide section, it talks about different scenario (moving tenant from one cloud repository to the other), therefore the steps vary. Thanks.