Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
StJulienSean
Novice
Liked: 1 time

Trouble backing up to B&R server from remote host

Post by StJulienSean »

A quick search of this board didn't turn up any answers to my issue, so I'll ask it here.

When configuring Agent for Windows to connect to my Backup and Replication server, so I can backup to my configured repository, I receive an error when the backup tries to run and fails.

"Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond 192.168.10.8:2502"

The IP address in the error is the internal IP of my repository, which I use for all other backups made through my B&R server. However I suspect that that is the disconnect - I'm backing up from a remote host which is my web server. Perhaps I've missed configuring something about my repository, although I'm having no trouble with the initial connection to the B&R server from the remote host. I'm hoping that the remote host can use the B&R server as proxy to the repository; but perhaps the repository needs to be publicly accessible in a direct way?

Just to cover some questions I think would come up...

- my B&R server is version 9.5 update 1
- my B&R server can be reached by the Agent running on the remote host: I opened port 10001 and the logs in the Agent and in the B&R server show them communicating when the backup starts
- I've also opened ports 2500-5000 to the B&R server; I've read that they are used for the data transfer and one of them always shows up in the error message
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Trouble backing up to B&R server from remote host

Post by Dima P. »

Hi StJulienSean,

What type of VBR repository are you using? Generally, Veeam Agent should have a direct connection to the repository, so you need to make sure it’s accessible from agent’s machine.
StJulienSean
Novice

Post by StJulienSean »

I see. Well, I suspected that might be the problem. The repository for this example is a NAS.

Can't wait until Cloud Connect backup is possible direct from Agent. Right now my provider won't enable it because of the beta status of Agent.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

There is a ‘hack’ with a NAS box. Make sure that you established a direct connection between agent and you NAS gateway server. Once done you can backup directly to the repository bypassing VBR server.
Iain_Green
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Iain Green

Post by Iain_Green »

Having the same issue with a remote agent, in the logs i see it connects to the local IP of the machine rather than external IP address.

Reading here i now assume you can't connect an agent to a b&r server on different network unless using cloud connect?
Many thanks

Iain Green
StJulienSean
Novice

Post by StJulienSean » 1 person likes this post

I eventually managed to do it by connecting my remote host to my LAN through VPN, though I understand if this isn't the solution you're hoping for.
Iain_Green
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Iain Green

Post by Iain_Green »

Cheers tested on another machine through VPN and works. Will test on the remote PC later, can't​ see any reason for this not work.
Many thanks

Iain Green
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi folks,
Reading here i now assume you can't connect an agent to a b&r server on different network unless using cloud connect?
True. Direct connect across WAN to Veeam B&R from Agent side is supported by cloud connect feature.
I eventually managed to do it by connecting my remote host to my LAN through VPN
Also true. By setting up VPN you run agent and VBR is the same network, so routing is not an issue.