Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
JoePrecious
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Precious

Do you need a Proxy for Seeding Replication?

Post by JoePrecious »

I'm just about to set up some replication jobs for VMware VMs. We'll be using a seed load so the plan is to do a full backup of each VM to a NAS, then move this NAS to the DR site and attach as a VMware datastore to the replication server.

However, the guide implies that the next step for this is that the replication job effectively does a full restore of the VM to the replication VM and then uses this restored VM as the start of the replication job. My concern is that without a Veeam Proxy in the replication site, the step where the backup is restored will go through the Veeam server in the other site and thus be too slow (and not really a seed).

Is this the case or not? Am I going to have to install a Veeam Proxy in the replication site as well? This would be a pain as we don't currently have a server to support this.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Do you need a Proxy for Seeding Replication?

Post by foggy »

Hi Joe, your understanding is correct, having a proxy at the target site is recommended both for seeding and for subsequent replication job runs.
JoePrecious
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Joe Precious

Post by JoePrecious »

Thanks for the reply. Just to clarify, you say it is recommended but could you confirm if it is defintely required to get the seed restored ready for replication?

We'll need to create a new VM and purchase a Windows license so don't want to do this unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Without proxy traffic will go back and forth to the source site.