Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
leo.white
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Backup *@domain.com

Post by leo.white »

Is there anyway to set backup jobs to backup any domain on a tenant that matches the pattern *@domain.com. Our 365 tenant has multiple AD Forest attached to it. I want to backup certain domains to certain places. I have been manually going in and editing the batch every time i add a user, but that gets old really quick. I am assuming most of this is running in the backup ground as Powershell, so i would think passing a wildcard variable would be possible.

I know our tenant setup is not as common, but i know we are not the only ones in this scenario.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Backup *@domain.com

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Leo,

We are thinking on possible solutions to change this behavior a bit as it is today. Your suggestion through PowerShell is a good one to think about.

Any other ideas on how you would want to achieve this. Is PS enough? Do you need an UI option? Any feedback is appreciated
leo.white
Enthusiast

Post by leo.white »

Your UI kind of has some filtering functionality built in. I essentially have a job setup per domain. For each job i manually go in and select mailboxs. Then type the domain in the search box. It shows me just those users with that domain. I click the check all box to uncheck the users and then re-check it which adds in the users who were recently moved to the cloud. To automate this i would think you would just need to add the code at the beginning of a job to filter based on domain and then add those boxes. In the setup wizard for a job you would just need to add a field for domain to backup.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Understood. We will take this item on to the discussion table when we talk about the different options for selection of users

Thanks!

Mike
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

(But in all honesty, no promises though when it will make the solution :-))
leo.white
Enthusiast

Post by leo.white »

:) I just wanted to it on the table for discussion. :)

Thanks!
JWH@VO
Influencer
Full Name: jwh

Post by JWH@VO »

Hi , I also Would like to vote for this.

We have a multi domain tenant. with daily changing users added and deleted.

It would be great if you can make backup groups based on variables , like *.domain.com and that Veeam makes every backup a selection based on this variable.
other variables what you can think of is things like email address contains .....

the problem with the current method of selecting is that there is no automatic inclusion of new users.

jwh AchterhoekVO
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi @JWH,

First, welcome to the forums

Second: Thanks for adding your vote. If you have additional ideas for selecting users based on something, please let us know.
What do you guys think of selecting them based on security groups in your O365 domain(s)?
JWH@VO
Influencer
Full Name: jwh

Post by JWH@VO »

With the office365 security groups you are rather dependant on the level of Azure AD enrolment. think in many cases then filtering / selecting based on AD Extension Attributes would work better.

In our case filtering on email / upn domain extension would already solve a big issue and I guess it is the easiest to implement.
simply said there is some domains witch we think is important to backup and some other domains and some sub domains that are not important to backup.
to filter on the difference between domain and sub domain it is important that you can make selection filters based with the "@"included and without.
Mike Resseler
Product Manager

Post by Mike Resseler »

Thanks for the additional info! Appreciated!
Cheers
Mike