Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
kubimike
Veteran
Liked: 41 times
Full Name: MikeO

Attn HP guys, big time bug in Smart Array firmware 4.52

Post by kubimike » 2 people like this post

Huge for us HP guys, KNOWN FLAW IN 4.52 FIRMWARE for PX4X CONTROLLERS!! Do not use 4.52!!! Its only included in the SPP for HP, removed from their website. Please download and install 4.58. I just did it, and I'm going to let it idle and see if the 0x13 error reoccurs!

http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/pub ... -c05352202

I downloaded and tried the Windows installer it doesn't work in Windows 2016. I had to boot from the latest SPP (871790_001_spp-2016.10.0-SPP2016100.2016_1015.191.iso) and use this procedure with the LINUX RPM Firmware update file

How to:
http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/pub ... kc-0132754

Events under system will show Event ID 5001, 5002, 5006
Option ROM POST Error: 1719-Slot 3 Drive Array - A controller failure event occurred prior to this power-up. (Previous lock up code = 0x13) Action: Install the latest controller firmware. If the problem persists, replace the controller.
I'd also like to mention I only updated the controller showing the error messages. I do have two other controllers that are still on version 4.52
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Attn HP guys, big time bug in Smart Array firmware 4.52

Post by Mike Resseler »

Mike,

Thanks for this update and helping out other members. Really appreciated!

Another Mike ;-)
WimVD
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times

Post by WimVD »

Thanks Mike(s), I'm running P441 controllers with 4.52. Had no issues but upgrading to 4.58 just to be sure.
It is somewhat concerning that HPE has pulled the updates from their website. Latest available firmware at the moment is 4.02

Btw I had no issues using the windows installer on Server 2016 for updating my firmware. I did use "run as administrator".
Maybe that helped...
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

@WimVD, yeah I tried running 'As Administrator' as well the .EXE would just crash. The crash was visible from the event log. I ran into the lock-up errors on my P841, my P441s haven't exhibited the problem yet. My P841 is connected to external storage via SAS, Now HP needs to pull 4.52 from the SPP!
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike »

bad news, controller went offline this morning. same 0x13 stop error. Called back into HP, they have another customer with the same issue. Their case has been escalated to a level 2 engineer. I should get a call shortly with a new plan of action. What a nightmare this has been.
kubimike
Veteran

Post by kubimike » 1 person likes this post

more info on this now HP is telling me after I had 5 days of open cases that there is another bug in the firmware. If you're experiencing the volume suddenly disappearing turn off surface scans for now. I've been told another firmware will be released in April to address this issue.
Thrawn
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Post by Thrawn » 2 people like this post

A new firmware has been released last friday that should fix these issues :
http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/pub ... s_critical__/
WimVD
Service Provider
Liked: 19 times

Post by WimVD »

That's quite a list of critical fixes :shock:
Thanks for the heads up. Time to update 8)
The following is a complete listing of the fixes included in version 5.04:

Kernel core dump using kdump might not complete in Linux when using Smart Array Gen9 firmware version 4.52.
Intermittent memory errors might cause the controller to stop responding. (POST Lockup 0x13)
System might stop responding if a parity error is found during surface scan of a RAID6 volume. (POST Lockup 0x13)
In rare cases, the controller might stop responding while running IO without displaying a lockup code.
Non-Maskable Interrupt (NMI) might occur on systems with a Windows OS and HPE Gen9 Smart Array or Smart HBA adapters and performing continuous reboot testing.
System IO might stop when using certain 6TiB and 8TiB SAS drives in a dual-path configuration with an HPE Gen9 Smart Array or Smart HBA adapter in HBA-mode, possibly resulting in an OS crash.
Physical slot location of SATA drives might not be returned correctly when using Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct (S2D).
Multiple direct attach SATA drives within a cluster might show the same World Wide Name (WWN) when using Microsoft Storage Spaces Direct (S2D).
Drive LED's might be illuminated for the wrong drive and/or only illuminate momentarily when connected to an expander configuration with an HPE Gen9 Smart Array or Smart HBA adapter in HBA-mode.
Controllers using a 4GB cache module might fail data retention following an unexpected power event. (POST message 1793 - Data in Write-Back Cache has been Lost)