Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ivk
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ivan Kronborg

Copy to Tape job

Post by ivk »

I have a specific backup version that I would like to copy to our tape station.
I select "Tape Job" "Backups" then I select "Add, Backup jobs" I get a list of all the backup jobs and I can select the VM that I want, but I dont get the option to select a specific version, this will just copy the latest Full,
to the tape.
How do I make a copy to tape of a specific backup version?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Copy to Tape job

Post by foggy »

Hi Ivan, if I'm getting you right, you need to use a file to tape job to copy the particular file to tape.
tang
Novice
Full Name: kim

Post by tang »

File to Tape/Backup to Tape only copying the vbk to Tape?
What if the backup contents 10TB of data, do I need to restore the whole 10TB from Tape before extract the contents?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

File to Tape/Backup to Tape only copying the vbk to Tape?
If you need to copy a specific version (particular backup file, in other words), then, yes, file to tape job that has this file selected as its source should be a way to go.
What if the backup contents 10TB of data, do I need to restore the whole 10TB from Tape before extract the contents?
Correct, a whole file should be restored first. In contrast, a backup to tape job has a functionality called "Direct VM restore" using which you can restore a particular VM from a tape directly to production without intermediate step (restoring to staging repository).
ivk
Lurker
Full Name: Ivan Kronborg

Post by ivk »

But the version that I want to copy to tape is not a full version, but a version in between, the backup job i want to copy from is running Reverse Incremental.
How do I make a copy to tape, and what files do I need?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Restore a VM from a particular incremental backup, using either full VM restore or Instant VM Recovery, back it up with the use of either ordinary backup job or ad-hoc VeeamZIP functionality and archive resulting backup to tapes, leveraging either files to tape or backups to tape job. Thanks.