Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dale_roberts
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dale Roberts

[Feature Request] Right-Click Functions

Post by dale_roberts »

Currently in the "Backup * Replication" -> "Backups" area of Veeam when you right-click on a backed up machine you are offered Several restore options, a recover option and a delete from disk option.

I would like to see the following functionality that is already in Veeam exposed here too:
  • "Perform backup files health check" as is found in the "advanced settings" -> "Maintenance" are of a backup job
  • "Defragment and compact full backup file", again as found in the "advanced settings" -> "Maintenance" are of a backup job
  • "Remove deleted VMs data after" with an option to override days, again as found in the "advanced settings" -> "Maintenance" are of a backup job
You'll notice a theme here. I basically want to be able to have Veam validate Veeam backups for a VM on a per VM basis or tidy up old data on a per VM basis "easily". This is all functionality in Veeam, but functionality that day-to-day I don't need for a job (it really slows down backups) but on occasion I would like to run. For example before deleting a load of powered off VMs I'd like to integrity check the backups so I know what I then archive off site is a valid backup not a corrupt one. I realise I could simply restore the VM but that's seem overkill when Veeam has the functionality built in but hidden away.

I also realise that some operation might have to effect a "whole job" not just a single VM if the repository they backup to does not have "Use per-VM backup files" but that could surely be a pop-up notice before taking action and wouldn't effect us as most of our backups go to "Use per-VM backup files" repositories.

Similarly, in the "Virtual Machines" area when you right-click I would like to see an additional "Full Backup" added alongside the "Quick Backup" option so that I can force a full backup of a specific machine rather than an incremental of that machine or a full backup of all machines in a given job at the job level. Again, this would appear to be functionality already in Veeam, just not exposed at this level.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [Feature Request] Right-Click Functions

Post by foggy »

dale_roberts wrote: [*]"Perform backup files health check" as is found in the "advanced settings" -> "Maintenance" are of a backup job
[*]"Defragment and compact full backup file", again as found in the "advanced settings" -> "Maintenance" are of a backup job
[*]"Remove deleted VMs data after" with an option to override days, again as found in the "advanced settings" -> "Maintenance" are of a backup job[/list]
These functions cannot be performed separately from the job itself, currently they are triggered right after the job run. So it isn't that simple as just exposing them as shortcut menu commands. But I see what you're talking about here.
dale_roberts wrote:Similarly, in the "Virtual Machines" area when you right-click I would like to see an additional "Full Backup" added alongside the "Quick Backup" option so that I can force a full backup of a specific machine rather than an incremental of that machine or a full backup of all machines in a given job at the job level. Again, this would appear to be functionality already in Veeam, just not exposed at this level.
Full backup for all VMs in a job can now be triggered by the Active Full menu command. Full backup for individual VM can be performed with the help of VeeamZIP.
dale_roberts
Novice

Post by dale_roberts »

These functions cannot be performed separately from the job itself, currently they are triggered right after the job run
If they are intrinsically linked to the jobs, rather than the backup files, would it be possible to expose them via Right-Click of the job then ?

That wouldn't be as useful but it would still help as it's something we would like to be able to do from time to time, preferably without editing a job and kicking off a new backup unless it's the case that the job would then not be able to run until the integrity check / defragmentation / deletion has completed ?
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

Do you see it as 1-time event which is to happen when the job starts in accordance with its schedule or as "run the job with healthcheck"?
dale_roberts
Novice

Post by dale_roberts »

I'd see it as an ad-hoc "run the job's healthcheck" now option. I wouldn't particularly care if running the health checks required a run of the job first as in some way _not_ running the job before doing the healthchecks would be better as we want to "show the output of the Veeam job(s) are not corrupt" at a given date & time.

Think of it as a small part of either a "backup validation exercise" or a" DR exercise" which can be run a little more often than performing a full recovery test all the way from Tape. This would allow us to do some level of checking more regularly with lower resource requirements than a full DR recovery from tape exercise. Running these checks as part of a job run sufficiently slows the jobs to impact our ability to do actual backups, so we don't want it every time a job runs, but we would like to be able to run it, for some jobs, as one part of a standard process of validating backups. This would allow us to choose to accept backups being delayed for a few days (i.e. by avoiding year end or other important changes etc) at that time as required.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

I see your point, Dale.
Health check doesn`t slow down the backup process itself, but start after the backup is done. You can schedule particular days for the health check if you don`t want it to run every time.
Anyway, I`ve got your feedback, thank you for that!