Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Backup Copy issues after Quick Migration

Post by guitarfish »

I find B&R SO UNFORGIVING when a VM is moved!! Wow.

I ran the Veeam Quick Migration in B&R v9.5 to move a VM to a new host. Presumably it used vMotion since I have that licensed. My steps:

1) Run Active Full on the VM
2) Run Quick Migration. I specified the destination disk type to be the same as source, if that matters.
3) The process took about 20 minutes, When done, the old VM files were deleted from old host as expected.
4) Ran an incremental on VM on new host. The backup was ~700MB (small)
5) Did a Sync on the Backup Copy job. It uploaded an 18GB .vib file to the cloud, and then it generated a whole bunch of these errors:

Failed to generate points Error: Can not find DBObject with id {b5280ced-430a-41b8-9f55-4b098d74cfd2}
Failed to merge full backup file Error: Can not find DBObject with id {b5280ced-430a-41b8-9f55-4b098d74cfd2}
Failed to create restore point 2/23/2017 11:00:00 PM

What is going on here? I am now running a new Active Full to cloud, but this is going to take a long time. I have additional VMs to migrate, so it looks like this is going to be a repeated process. It seems like anytime I do anything locally regarding moves or disk changes, the BC jobs get hosed and I have to do a new Full.

Not a happy camper!!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Backup Copy issues after Quick Migration

Post by Gostev »

Hi, this could be just a bug. What is the support case ID for this issue?
guitarfish
Enthusiast

Post by guitarfish »

I didn't open a case, it just happened overnight, and I already have 2 cases open for other issues. I was looking for some feed back, like "yeah, it's normal" or "that shouldn't happen."
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Are both source and target hosts reside under the same vCenter Server and did you point Veeam B&R to the VM itself via vCenter?
guitarfish
Enthusiast

Post by guitarfish »

foggy wrote:Are both source and target hosts reside under the same vCenter Server?
Yes.
foggy wrote:Did you point Veeam B&R to the VM itself via vCenter?
In the Virtual Machines tab of the Backup Copy job, the "Objects to process" box has the local Backup job listed for the VM, instead of the VM itself. Not entirely sure why it's listed that way. I've asked about the differences in how objects are selected for this screen, and have always been told it doesn't matter because it all ends up pointing to the same place. (That answer doesn't satisfy...)

Since all my other BC jobs have the VM listed (selected from vCenter infrastructure), I removed the entry and added it as VM. I'm going to run a new Full to the cloud.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

guitarfish wrote:In the Virtual Machines tab of the Backup Copy job, the "Objects to process" box has the local Backup job listed for the VM, instead of the VM itself.
I meant the Quick Migration job, to verify whether the migrated VM got new VM ID on the target host.
guitarfish wrote:I've asked about the differences in how objects are selected for this screen, and have always been told it doesn't matter because it all ends up pointing to the same place. (That answer doesn't satisfy...)
And not the correct one. The scope for restore point selection will be different.