Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
KCKuhns
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: KC Kuhns

Hyper-V Core

Post by KCKuhns »

Hello,

I'm new to the forums but have been using Veeam for a while now. I have an environment running Hyper-V Core and they have the DC and 4 other servers virtualized. I want to backup the Hyper-V Core so that I don't have to backup the individual VM's. I know I can do a silent push with Veeam to install it - but are there any instructions to run backups and operate the program through command line?
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Re: Hyper-V Core

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi,

First, welcome to the forums!

Are you talking about Veeam Backup & Replication? VBR cannot protect a Hyper-V host, only the VM's running on that host.

The only option to backup the host would be Veeam Agent for Windows (VAW, new name for VEB) but core is not a supported operating system. But even if it was a supported operating system, it wouldn't give you the protection you want/ need. You need to backup the DC and other application servers with application aware processing. Otherwise you might have the Hyper-V VHDX files (and config files) but nothing consistent to use in case you need to recover.

For your question on command line. Quite a lot of items can be done through PowerShell. We even have a dedicated forum for it

If I misunderstood the question, please let me know
Mike