Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
edirschedl
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Emanuel Dirschedl

Feature request: Intelligent FLR-Mount with File-Indexing

Post by edirschedl »

Hello together,

currently we have some performance issues with VEEAM Windows FLR of big fileserver (> 6TB) - #02099724 for more information.

During the testing for this problem, I've seen that VEEAM is in my opinion very inefficient regarding the mount of the restore point, while a file-level-restore. Especially if file-Indexing is activated and I select one file on one disk, VEEAM mounts all other disks, too. It's clear that you have no information about the content of the VMDK, if file-indexing is disabled. But if activated, why not mount only this one disk, with this one file?
Partly we have very big fileserver with many disks on it and every mount for every disk needs time. With file indexing you have information about the location / right disk already to do it in a more efficient way.

Regards,

Emanuel
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Re: Feature request: Intelligent FLR-Mount with File-Indexin

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Thanks for the feature request! I'd recommend to use Enterprise Manager for faster FLR operations. If you start FLR from VBR/VBR console then indexes are not used and the backup has to be mounted twice. We already have some improvement regarding this on the roadmap.

Thank you!
edirschedl
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Emanuel Dirschedl

Re: Feature request: Intelligent FLR-Mount with File-Indexin

Post by edirschedl »

Hi,
thank you for your fast response!

We use the EM preferred for restores, because it's very easy and you can set granular permissions. So using of file-indexing is no problem and works good.
Please if you recommend to use the Enterprise Manager for restore jobs, I have to remind you, that not all features from the B&R console aren't implemented - see veeam-backup-replication-f2/veeam-enter ... 41849.html

And it's very confusing to use for this restore types the B&R admin console and for other one such as FLR the EM. I hope we'll see for the next versions, that all restore opportunities will be implemented in EM and that you can do all restore jobs with all settings with the Enterprise Manager completely. Then the B&R admin console only for backup / infrastructure or similar. So the B&R console is important only for the backup administrator, and not for the application / windows / linux guy, wo wants to do only restores.

Regards,

Emanuel