Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bonzovt
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Adam Fisher

HP StoreOnce for backup copy job

Post by bonzovt »

I have read through the HP StoreOnce Catalyst config guide for Veeam B&R. We have our local backups configured exactly as specified in the white paper, but I don't see anything in there about using a HP StoreOnce repository as a Backup Copy Job target. Specifically, for the Backup Copy Job itself, in the Target section -> Advanced -> Storage tab, Enable inline data dedupe is checked by default. For a source repository, it is required to uncheck the Veeam dedupe box, so I am assuming that is also the case when using a remote StoreOnce repository for a copy job? I read somewhere that the best practice is to uncheck Enable inline data dedupe and set compression level to Optimal for this Backup Copy Job scenario, but didn't see anything spelled out specifically in the Veeam config guide. Are those indeed the correct settings?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: HP StoreOnce for backup copy job

Post by foggy »

Hi Adam, unlike the source backup job, it is recommended to leave inline deduplication enabled and set compression to Auto in the backup copy job. Veeam B&R inline dedupe requires the entire chain to be opened. In case of regular backup jobs, where only required objects are opened, disabling our dedupe gives certain performance gain. In case of the backup copy, where the entire chain is always opened, disabling dedupe doesn't play any role in terms of performance, while could allow for a bit better space savings.

Btw, here's the updated Veeam B&R/StoreOnce Best Practices guide, which mentions those recommendations.