Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
guitarfish
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times

Bring back "Remove from configuration"

Post by guitarfish »

There was a feature in B&R v9.0 and prior called Remove from Configuration which was available when viewing Disk & Cloud restore points. As described in the User Guide:
"You can use the Remove from configuration operation if you want to remove records about backups and replicas from the Veeam Backup & Replication console and configuration database. Backup files themselves (VBK, VIB, VRB, VBM) remain on the backup repository — you can import these files later to the Veeam Backup & Replication console and perform restore operations. Replicated VMs also remain on target hosts. If necessary, you can start them manually after the Remove from configuration operation is performed."

This is a very important feature and it was removed in v9.5. I've asked why on several occasions and got some unsatisfying answers. "People were using it without realizing it didn't remove the restore points, and their repositories were getting full." Well, duh. I was also told, "It was removed because of changes in the database." Yeah, makes no sense to me either.

HERE'S THE PROBLEM:
I have restore points listed in my config that don't exist in the repository (they were manually deleted in the FILES section). OK, that's' cosmetic. I presently have a number of Backup Copy jobs that aren't properly managing restore points (making monthly, weekly fulls, and deleting old), and my repository is running out of space. I have no way to correct this unless I delete files manually. (I have a case on this one, #2107704, but it hasn't been looked at yet). I have another job with phantom restore points listed that no longer exist.

In all the above cases, I've used Remove from Configuration in the past to clean things up. At the moment, my config is a MESS and I can't do anything about it.

WHY was this important feature removed? Will this feature be regained at some point? WHEN? It is really infuriating that this was removed with no explanation or workaround. The feature was obviously there in the first place to solve a problem. It shouldn't have been removed with no workaround.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Bring back "Remove from configuration"

Post by tsightler »

I'm actually a little confused, the "Remove from configuration" option is still available in 9.5 for removing entire backup chains.

If you are referring to cleaning up "old" points when files are manually deleted, then you should be able to rescan the repository and Veeam will detect missing files. When you then choose properties on the backup Veeam will show any missing points in a greyed-out/italicized font with a small red 'x' beside them. You can then right-click and "Forget" this backup and depending points or all missing backups.

This should allow you to clean up any of your missing backups and is safer than simply allowing people to remove anything from the database configuration. The scan allows us to identify inconsistency between the restore points in the database vs the actual files on disk and then you can clean up those inconsistencies. I would think this would be enough to address the issues you are suffering from.
guitarfish
Enthusiast

Post by guitarfish »

My issue is specifically with Cloud restore points. The screen you posted is for Disk, but those options don't exist for Cloud.

Here's a screen grab of "FILES" for the Cloud repository for one of the jobs in question. Note there are 20 files, and no files between 2/15 - 3/17.

After rescan of repository, it shows 44 restore points, 24 more than exist.

When I do right-click, Properties on the Cloud backup, all these incrementals show. They don't come up italicized or grayed, and there's no way to remove them anymore.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

To support per-VM chain and Scale-Out Repository we had to introduce some dramatic changes in the way information regarding restore points is stored in both SP's and tenant's databases. Leaving "remove from configuration" option was unacceptable at that moment, since usage of it would definitely result in db mess. Because of that we decided not to expose this option on backups stored in cloud repositories.

I'd suggest opening a ticket with our support team and asking them to wipe obsolete restore points out of product db and also abstaining from manual restore point deletion.

As to our side, we'll think how the current (quite understandable) inconvenience might be addressed down the road.

Thanks.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

OK, I see. In your original post you specifically stated Disk & Cloud, so I didn't look at the cloud node. I would have thought that rescanning the cloud repository would have still worked in this case but I'm sure support will be able to help you out.
guitarfish
Enthusiast

Post by guitarfish »

Thank you for the explanation and response. While the example I posted was a result of manual deletion, I have a couple other jobs that need cleanup for other reasons. I hope this issue is given the attention it deserves. It is a big headache trying to manage without the Remove feature.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

We've tracked this requirement already, and currently are thinking about how it can be addressed in the best fashion. So, you can certainly consider your voice counted. :)

Thanks.
cathym
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Cathy Miron

Post by cathym »

This is an old thread, but I'm having this same problem in v11. Exactly as guitarfish has described. Rescan of cloud backups doesn't give options to remove from configuration, and the restore points have long since been removed. What is the current way to resolve this (outside of a support ticket)?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

It's still recommended to reach the support team and let them verify the setup prior to removing obsolete entities from the configuration database. Thanks!