Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
Epianth
Lurker
Liked: never

Question about Acknowledge behavior

Post by Epianth »

I wanted to see if I could get confirmation on the behavior of acknowledging vs resolve behavior. I've gone through the documentation but it isn't 100% clear on some use-cases I have.

The way I understand it is that if you Resolve an alarm, it will immediately reappear if the issue still exists. For example, if I get an alarm about 95% CPU usage on an ESXi host, and I resolve that alarm, it will re-appear immediately if the node is at 95%. This seems pretty clear.

Acknowledging is a little less clear, however. Let me give an example:

I have a datastore with an alarm that has a rule that says: Throw a warning alarm if it's below 500GB free, throw an alert if it's below 200GB free. If the warning triggers, I see it and choose to Acknowledge the alarm, so it no longer shows in the VeeamOne dashboard. Okay cool.

My question is: what will cause that alarm to reappear, if anything? If the datastore drops below 200GB, will the alarm reappear as an Error?

Another angle for this would be: Let's say it drops to 450GB so a warning appears. I acknowledge the warning, then data is cleared from the datastore and we have 600GB free. Cool, no alerts. But then it drops back below 500GB again -- I assume the previously acknowledged alarm will reappear at that point, because it's a separate alarm?

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: Question about Acknowledge behavior

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Let's say it drops to 450GB so a warning appears. I acknowledge the warning, then data is cleared from the datastore and we have 600GB free. Cool, no alerts. But then it drops back below 500GB again -- I assume the previously acknowledged alarm will reappear at that point, because it's a separate alarm?
Datastore free space alarm is resolved automatically when the resource usage level is back to normal. So when it drops below 500 you'll get a warning.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Question about Acknowledge behavior

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Acknowledged alarm will re-appear only if another severity is reached, so in your case acknowledged alarm will remain triggered, and when datastore free space drops below 200 GB, it will be triggered again.

Yes, your understanding on how alarm resolving and alarm acknowledgment works is correct.