Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
bipsen
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Ipsen

Monitoring Veeam Cloud Connect - without Veeam One ?

Post by bipsen »

Hi

In my company we use IBM Tivoli Monitoring, and we would like to use that to monitor our Veeam setup - but without introducing an extra platform like Veeam One.

Does anyone have any experience with monitoring a Veeam setup - without using Veeam One?

We can monitor the Veeam Windows services - but I am not sure, that this will be sufficient. Also, I think certain services (like Enterprise Manager, Installer service) not are required for Cloud Connect to work - so I need to narrow things down to be able to pinpoint whether the service is available or not...

Using powershell scripts could be an option - as we quite easily can detect entries in the Windows eventlog, if problems are reported there...

Regards
Brian
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Monitoring Veeam Cloud Connect - without Veeam One ?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Brian,

There are multiple ways to monitor Veeam B&R server:

1. If you need backup reporting (such as Protected VMs, Capacity planning for the backup repositories) and proper monitoring of Veeam backup servers, then Veeam ONE is the way to go.
2. If you want to monitor and report on Veeam Cloud Connect (quotas etc), then you can use Veeam ONE FREE, Veeam Availability Console (built for service providers) or PowerShell scripts (here is one of them) is the recommended approach.
3. If you want to monitor just Veeam backup events and capture them via IBM Tivoli, then you can use this document > Veeam Backup & Replication Events (9.x)

Thanks!
bipsen
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Brian Ipsen

Post by bipsen »

Hi

Basically I want to check whether the components in the Cloud Connect service can be considered "operational" - in order to be able to report on uptime/availability. I know, that the staff handling the daily operation (and 24/7 monitoring) not will be very happy, if I have to introduce an application-specific monitoring product (on top of the application) - in order to be able to generate alarms into our corporate monitoring platform and ticket system (IBM Tivoli Monitoring/OMNIBus).

Whether copy-jobs have run successfully or not is basically up to the admin of the local Veeam installation to check. Copy jobs may fail due to problems on the Cloud Connect platform, and what I would like to, is to find a way to monitor all the components in the Cloud Connect setup, to make sure, that the service is available and working towards customers/subscribers,

Regards
Brian
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

In this case why not to use SNMP traps or email notifications (coming from Veeam ONE of VAC) to Tivoli to keep all the data in the single console?