Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HJAdams123
Enthusiast
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Harold Adams

Enhancement Idea for Monitoring Veeam Backup and Replication

Post by HJAdams123 » 7 people like this post

Hello and Good Day Community...

Often times when I am monitoring my backups at night, I often see jobs that are waiting for infrastructure resources. No job ends up waiting long, but I often times have to break out a pen and paper and count how many disks a proxy is processing, and how many things might be going on concurrently on a repository. I requires me to poke around on each running job and keep a tally of who is doing what. During busy times, this can require a fair amount of effort. I was thinking down the line, wouldn't it each be awesome to see in a single view somewhere in the console all of your proxies, and their current process count? (right beside the currently configured max process limit you have configured) And then have this same information for your repositories. It wouldn't have to update the count in real time, a reasonable polling of every 5 minutes would be nice.

And in this same area of the UI, have something that states the average time a job is waiting for infrastructure resources?

I think something like this could help administrators of large Veeam environments understand where infrastructure bottlenecks are, and quickly remediate them.

Now if this information is already on the console somewhere, then please tell me where it is!!!

Just an idea for an already awesome product....

-Harold
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Re: Enhancement Idea for Monitoring Veeam Backup and Replica

Post by mkretzer »

YES!!!

With per-VM backup chains it was nearly impossible to find out what was taking the available tasks when merges were going. It would definately increase visibility!
ober72
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 136 times
Full Name: Geoff Burke

Post by ober72 »

This would be a great addition!

cheers
Geoff Burke
VMCA2022, VMCE2023, CKA, CKAD
Veeam Vanguard, Veeam Legend
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

HJAdams123 wrote:a single view somewhere in the console all of your proxies, and their current process count?
Since we have such a single view of all proxies already, seems like all that is missing in this table is currently used slot count for each proxy?
HJAdams123
Enthusiast
Full Name: Harold Adams

Post by HJAdams123 »

Yeah, that would be a good spot for it. And the same information in the Backup Repositories section.

-Harold
mkretzer
Veeam Legend
Liked: 387 times

Post by mkretzer »

How about an "infastructure view", a live-updating picture where the proxy, repos and connections are all visible including counters for tasks & data rate
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Well, while this sounds very fancy and useful of course, it is certainly incomparable in terms of R&D costs ;) so I think we will start small for now - and that is, by expanding the existing all proxies view with the tasks column. Thanks!!
mitchellm3
Influencer
Liked: 8 times

Post by mitchellm3 »

I had a similar thought only a few weeks ago and it quickly got shoved into the VEEAM One forum where I thought it didn't belong. I'm glad this one hasn't gone that route yet. I think your suggestion is great. VEEAM seems to only implement feature requests when a lot of people want it so I'm game. Anything that would keep us from counting disks would be awesome. Also, when a synthetic full happens with per-VM chains...good luck.

veeam-one-f28/veeam-dashboard-for-tuning-t41570.html
ChrisGundry
Veteran
Liked: 40 times
Full Name: Chris Gundry

Post by ChrisGundry »

Another 'vote' for this! Been wanting this for a while so would love to see it appear!
Hoegimator
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Joerg Renggli

Post by Hoegimator »

I'm working in a very dynamic, fast growing international company and that reflects of course to our IT infrastructure and naturally the Veeam backup.
Therefore, here is my vote and thumbs up for a better overview of the bottleneck(s).
andyg
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Andy Goldschmidt

Post by andyg »

+1
-= VMCE v9 certified =-
adam_c
Veeam Software
Full Name: Adam Congdon

Post by adam_c » 5 people like this post

There is actually a built-in 'tool' that could help with this situation. Though I like the idea of displaying the Task limit on the proxy/repo page as a more convenient way to remind one of the actual setting.

From elevated CMD prompt or Powershell on the Veeam Server from this path:
C:\Program Files\Veeam\Backup and Replication\Backup> .\Veeam.Backup.Manager.exe -Showproxyusages

This is a "live" Task Count. Updated with the press of any key, ESC to exit. This is a useful tool that Support uses for the same reasons detailed in the Feature Request. Hopefully this helps :)