Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
pshute
Veteran
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Peter Shute

Media pool not listed till tape job expanded, etc

Post by pshute »

If I go to Backup & Replication/Backups/Tape, I see a list of tape jobs with the headings Job Name, Creation time, Media Pool, Restore Points and Platform. The Media Pool and Restore Points columns are blank. Ifind the whole page confusing.

There are two jobs in the list, both with the same "job name". These appear to be not the name of any tap or backup job, but the name of the folder where the backups are located that each of our two scheduled tape jobs is backing up (one runs weekly using the "Weekly" media pool, the other runs monthly using the "Monthly" media pool). That folder is named after the *original* name of our main job that backs up VMs to disk - "Backup Job 1 - test". That backup is now called "Backup Job 1 - Main", so a bit confusing? Ie there's nothing listed that allows a user to associate what they're seeing with any jobs listed anywhere in the GUI.

If I expand a job, I see a list of VMs, and the Media Pool and Restore Points columns are now populated. The media pool for all of them is the same, so why not list it before it's expanded?

And why is the name of the associated tape job not listed anywhere?

Could I suggest:
- The Job Name column should list the name of the tape job
- Add a column called Repository Folder Name, and list there what's currently listed in the Job Name column
- Add a column for the backup job name?
- Populate the Media Pool column before expanding the job - is it even possible to have individual VMs from a single backup end up in different pools?
- Perhaps populate the Restore Points column before expansion with the minimum and maximum restore points available for machines within that tape job. Eg. 3-9
pshute
Veteran

Re: Media pool not listed till tape job expanded, etc

Post by pshute »

And why, when the job is expanded, are the VMs not initially listed in alphabetical order? I can put them in order by clicking on the Job Name heading, but that's not expected behaviour because that column was already the sort column.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Peter,

Good feedback, thank you. Global ‘Job view’ reflects general information similar for all types of jobs in B&R. Have you checked the specific tape jobs view? It shows different information, for instance target media pool is displayed under the target column.
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

I'm not sure what you mean by "global job view" and "specific tape jobs view". Can you please tell me how to get to each of those?
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

This is what I'm seeing. I hope you can see it, I haven't added a screenshot before.
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

Don't know why that image doesn't work. I'll try a URL instead.
https://goo.gl/photos/UFamPdxUcTvKAXM98
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute »

That image has the VM names pixelated, of course.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you for the screenshot! Take a look at Jobs view. If you select the root node Jobs you will get the full overview of your B&R jobs including tape jobs.
Add a column called Repository Folder Name, and list there what's currently listed in the Job Name column
There is a column named Target where media pool / repository is displayed for each job
Add a column for the backup job name?
This one might be tricky if your tape backup contains lot's of source disk jobs.

Now, when it comes to the data inside the backup on tapes - switch to Backup > Tapes select the job, right click the job name and go to properties. You should see all VMs and restore points listed in a special view.
pshute
Veteran

Post by pshute » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for replying, I'd forgotten about this one.
Dima P. wrote:Thank you for the screenshot! Take a look at Jobs view. If you select the root node Jobs you will get the full overview of your B&R jobs including tape jobs.
I'm talking about the Backups node. I'm happy with how the Jobs node is displayed. My suggestion is about making the information displayed in the Backups node easier to understand and more useful.
Now, when it comes to the data inside the backup on tapes - switch to Backup > Tapes select the job, right click the job name and go to properties. You should see all VMs and restore points listed in a special view.
But it doesn't include the name of the tape job anywhere. In the title of that window is the *original* name of the job that created the repository being backed up to tape. What it's actually displaying seems to be the name of the repository folder with the suffix " on Tape". If that job has ever been been renamed then it's not meaningful at all. That's why I suggested renaming that column "Repository folder name".

Code: Select all

Add a column for the backup job name?
This one might be tricky if your tape backup contains lot's of source disk jobs.
What I meant was to add a column for the Tape Backup Job Name.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Peter,
In the title of that window is the *original* name of the job that created the repository being backed up to tape.
Got it! Thanks a lot for the clarification - we will discuss it with the team.