Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
shawn149
Lurker
Liked: never

Disable Integration Services Status Alert in Lieu of Report

Post by shawn149 »

Hello Everyone!

This is one of those questions that I think I already know the answer, but just in case, I was advised to see if the Community Forum might have more suggestions...

My Virtualization Admins want me to disable the “Veeam HyperV: VM Integration Services Status” alert. Then they want me to create a custom report that shows each integration service and if it is missing/wrong/whatever.

Basically, the Operating System teams need to schedule a change through our change management process and that means there will be a bunch of alerts siting in the console for weeks (or possibly months depending on the system).

At this point, I believe the Veeam MP does not collect the status of each service, except in a “comment” field for the actual alert (but I could be wrong). I do see an “Integration Services” field, but it only shows “some”, not the individual services that are enabled. Therefore I'm guessing that a custom report would not be possible using the Veeam data.

With all of that said, does anyone have an alternate method or suggestion that I might be able to pursue?

Thanks,
-Shawn
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Disable Integration Services Status Alert in Lieu of Rep

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Shawn,

This is very interesting question.

First of all you can disable alerts for this Monitor - in this case it will only trigger it's state to red for VMs without integration services and then you can run for example Veeam State Summary Report from Veeam Report LIbrary for this specific monitor - this way ti will show you problematic VMs (with Integration Services issues), but I guess it is similar to VM property functionality

Next there should be a way of listing all VMs and their integration servies satus for a particular Hyper-V host, I beleive this should be possible with SCOM task. Let me know if this is somehting that will suite your needs - I'll investigate.

I'll also take this as a feature request - we'll see what can be done in our future versions.

Thanks.
shawn149
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by shawn149 »

Hi Sergey,

A quick follow-up...

I just found out that our Virtualization team is having issues with our backup product (not Veeam backup). Short version, the product we're using causes issues with guest VM's if the Hyper-V integration for Heartbeat is enabled. While they are working with the vendor, they were advised to disable the Heartbeat integration service in the meantime.

That means all of our Hyper-V guests now have an alert for at least one missing integration service. As you probably guessed, we are going to move forward with disabling the alert.

As a work-around, I wrote a script to collect these fields (and more) on a daily basis and am storing the output in a database. We will be creating an SSRS report soon.

And thank you for the offer of assisting us with creating a custom task, but we're good for now.

-Shawn

-Shawn
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Shawn,

Actually our Monitor is quite sophisticated and if you disable Hyper-V Integration service on the Hyper-V side, in the VM properties - it won't report a failure.

Thank you for getting back to us with you solution to a problem. Could you share some details about your script - do you run the script on a management server and report about all Hyper-V VMs or it should be started on each Hyper-V server locally?

Thanks.