Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
final
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Copy Backup as soon as backup job finishes

Post by final »

Hi,

I'm experimenting with backup copy in v9.5U1. We have all our VMs in a datacenter and a 1gbps line to our main office. We run two incrementals a day on Mon - Thu (noon and 6pm), an ActiveFull on Fri 6pm* and another incremental on Sunday 6pm. This is done with one job and Advanced Scheduling according to KB1868. The primary repository is a NAS in the datacenter itself.

Now, I would like to copy the backup sets over to a repository in our main office as soon as the first backup job finishes, but i struggle to achieve that. If I set the "Copy every..." to daily, it only copies one of the two daily backup sets (I think). If I set it to every hour, then the window is not long enough to copy the active full on Friday (plus I get a lof of emails that the job didn't do anything). Also, every hour is not very neat because the incremental jobs usually take around 1 hour and 5 minutes, so the copy job only starts 55 minutes after the backup job finished.

Last but not least, the server in our main office has a tape library attached to it. I would like to copy the copy of the ActiveFull to tape (GFS) as soon as the ActiveFull copy job finishes.

Any ideas how I can get this done?

Thanks,
final

* (PS: If anyone can tell me how to squeeze in another incremental on friday noon, I'll buy you a beer, but that's not the (main) point of this thread)
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Copy Backup as soon as backup job finishes

Post by DGrinev »

Hi,

Please be aware that the Backup Copy Job creates a separate backup chain with the most recent state of VMs, not just copy restore points to another target.
You should start the Backup Copy Job right before your backup job finishes approximately, let's say 6:40 PM or execute "Sync now" at the said time. In this way BCJ will start to copy VMs data right after the backup job ends.
Please, review existing thread with detailed description on how to start the backup copy job on specific time.
final wrote:(plus I get a lot of emails that the job didn't do anything)
That's because BCJ continuously looking for the fresh restore points during predefined interval, so most time of a day it's do nothing until new restore point appears.

Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 3 people like this post

That said,
final wrote:Copy Backup as soon as backup job finishes
We're working on adding such Backup Copy job mode to the product.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

final wrote:* (PS: If anyone can tell me how to squeeze in another incremental on friday noon, I'll buy you a beer, but that's not the (main) point of this thread)
Leave the job scheduling similar to other week days and trigger active full at 5.59pm via script (with the help of Windows Task Manager).
Squish
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Ondřej Kraus

Post by Squish »

Gostev wrote: We're working on adding such Backup Copy job mode to the product.
Looking forward for this feature !
Iain_Green
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Iain Green

Post by Iain_Green »

Gostev wrote: We're working on adding such Backup Copy job mode to the product.
Am I missing something or is not what a copy job already does??
Many thanks

Iain Green
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Now it does that within an interval, one restore point per interval. Anton is talking about slightly different concept.