Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
barrell
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Lee Barrell

Minimum solution to back-up from VMware storage snapshots

Post by barrell »

Hi
I have a low cost solution requirement to backup a handful of VMware snapshots from a SAN. The issue I have is the current architecture has no NAS to back up to and cost restraints will limit this. I plan to install the Veeam Manager, Veeam DB and Veeam Proxy on the one server, can I also use this to store the backup snapshots from the SAN or will I need another server to achieve this.
As mentioned above this is a very low cost solution so I need to find the best budget install at this point, I plan to use a licenced version of Veeam.

Many thanks
L
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Minimum solution to back-up from VMware storage snapshot

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Hi Lee, if the question is whether you can store VM backup files on the same server where Veeam B&R is installed, then the answer is yes.
barrell
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Lee Barrell

Post by barrell »

Thanks for the quick reply, yes what I plan to do is have the Veeam server as an all in one backup solution.

As it's a low cost deployment with small proof of concept there will be a phase two deployment down the road that will require a more traditional design with backup from SAN to NAS over 10G network.
CarlMcDade
Enthusiast
Liked: 20 times
Full Name: Carl McDade

Post by CarlMcDade » 1 person likes this post

Hey Barrell,

Essentially the Veeam Backup Repository role can be installed on the local Veeam Management Server. Configure the repository to a local drive or folder structure and you're away.

Be mindful that you need to have an understanding of how much storage is required to successfully adhere to your retention policies for your backups.
mail@carlmcdade.com
http://twitter.com/CarlMcDade
http://www.carlmcdade.com