Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
MSMSMSMSMS
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Huge difference in data size - production vs. backup

Post by MSMSMSMSMS »

Hello all,

We have case opened with Veeam for quite some time regarding problem with backup size of our Exchange DAG environment, so I've decided to ask here if anyone else is seeing similar problem. Basically, we have 4 server Exchange 2016 DAG running on Windows Server 2012 R2 based VM. VM's are running on Hyper-V based on Windows Server 2012 R2, and VM disks for databases and logs are formatted with ReFS. We are seeing Active Full Backup sizes that are 2x times bigger than all of data in VM combined. Veeam version is 9.5, but we've seen similar/same behavior with Veeam 9.0. Backup repository is currently formatted with ReFS.

Is there anyone with a similar problem?

Best regards, MSMSMSMSMS
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Huge difference in data size - production vs. backup

Post by DGrinev »

Hello MSMSMSMSMS and welcome to the community!

Please, share the case ID number so I could review the details and avoid duplicate questions.

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,
Basically, we have 4 server Exchange 2016 DAG running on Windows Server 2012 R2 based VM. VM's are running on Hyper-V based on Windows Server 2012 R2, and VM disks for databases and logs are formatted with ReFS.
I suspect that the reason for such behaviour is that there are dirty blocks that do not contain any data inside the guest. Bitlooker does not work in this case because it supports NTFS only. You can try to zero out free space so it will be deduped during backup.

Thanks
MSMSMSMSMS
Novice

Post by MSMSMSMSMS »

Hello DGrinev, case ID is # 02042104
MSMSMSMSMS
Novice

Post by MSMSMSMSMS »

PTide wrote:I suspect that the reason for such behaviour is that there are dirty blocks that do not contain any data inside the guest. Bitlooker does not work in this case because it supports NTFS only. You can try to zero out free space so it will be deduped during backup.
Hello PTide,

Your information definitely makes sense. I haven't been aware of NTFS only limitation of that feature. Are there any plans to implement dirty block detection for ReFS?

Best regards, Marinko
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Post by PTide »

Not yet, however as soon as ReFS becomes mature enough we will look into supporting Bitlooker for it.

Thanks