Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sdeath
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stuart Death

Oracle Explorer

Post by sdeath »

Hi,

I am backing up a VM that has Oracle 12g installed in Windows. The job is configured to use AAIP on the three databases which are in Archive Log mode. VSS works well and on restoring the machine the database is consistent as expected.

The problem I am seeing, however, is in the Oracle Explorer. I see the Home and databases but no info about the database files. If I click on any database it returns the error 'Failed to get database with ID: 76b91e84-f1fe-4d0f-9fd8-cbc1bcfc358d'. If I look in the Veeam.Oracle.Explorer log it tells me that all three databases have the same Backup ID.

Is this Backup ID a Veeam ID or an Oracle ID? I'm not sure where the issue lies here.

I have other VM's with Oracle in exactly the same setup that work fine and each database has its own Backup ID.

Many thanks for help.
sdeath
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Stuart Death

Re: Oracle Explorer

Post by sdeath » 2 people like this post

Okay, I've resolved this. Just in case anyone gets a similar problem, here is what I found:

I don't know much about Oracle at all but managed to work out that the databases had the same DBID, hence the same Backup ID. After speaking to the software supplier who installed the Oracle instance I found that they just cloned the databases without changing the DBID.

I have created new DBID's and it is now backing up as expected!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Correct, DBIDs should be unique, so changing the duplicate ones was the correct step (in case of using RMAN, the IDs would be changed automatically).
fsoares
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Flavio Soares

Post by fsoares »

I have this same issue, right now i can't restore oracle databases because the vendor installed 3 different instances and they all have the same DBID.
Is there a way to bypass this without changing the DBID ?

Thank you.
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

I fear there is no other option then changing the DBID's as they should be unique as mentioned by Alexander.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen