Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
quigmeister
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Veeam On

Is 2.0 out of beta

Post by quigmeister »

Everywhere I look, all I see is beta. Is the new agent for Windows 2.0 out of beta? If so, where do I get it at?

Thanks,

Quigmeister
rekun
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Rene Knudsen

Re: Is 2.0 out of beta

Post by rekun »

No it is still in beta :(
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,

Yes VAW is still in beta. You can get it here.
quigmeister
Novice

Post by quigmeister »

I have it downloaded, did I miss where we get the manual/guide/instructions?
quigmeister
Novice

Post by quigmeister »

I suppose it would behoove me to be more explanatory. I am trying to test this out to see how it works and it just instantly fails. I just installed it on a machine and am trying to run a backup to our Veeam VBR repository. It says Error: Unknown invoker method: 1008. I thought I saw an error before as well about not having made recovery image. Since I was trying to test this on a virtual machine, access to a USB drive wouldn't be too easy. Can't really do a CD. Thoughts?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Image recovery image has nothing to do with this error message. Please review this post for the solution.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

I have it downloaded, did I miss where we get the manual/guide/instructions?
Press F1 at any product page to open online help or use this link.
dalvarez17
Novice
Full Name: Danny Alvarez

Post by dalvarez17 »

Is there an estimate when the official release is going to come out? (Unfortunately beta will no suffice our needs)
I am pushing to keep Veeam in our environment, but everybody else wants a solution that does it all (virtual AND physical).
Are we looking at Q2? Q3? next year?
rgreen83
Influencer
Liked: 19 times
Full Name: Ryan Green

Post by rgreen83 »

quigmeister wrote: Since I was trying to test this on a virtual machine, access to a USB drive wouldn't be too easy. Can't really do a CD. Thoughts?
Having played with the recovery image creation I just wanted to mention that usb/cd is not required as it actually creates an iso which you can store on the network.
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Are we looking at Q2? Q3? next year?
Can’t provide the exact date but it should be out soon
iso which you can store on the network
Yes. Bare metal restore to a blank VM is an option - just mount an ISO and use it for boot.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Gostev just said "mid-April" to "early-May".

From his email today:
Here's an update on the upcoming Veeam releases for the next few weeks for your planning purposes. Our QC currently has the release candidate builds of Update 2 for Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 and Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 in hand, and are starting the full regression test cycle. If all goes well, we should have the RTM builds around mid-April. This is when our support will start pilot deployments of both products as usual - we will be reaching out to those of you with support cases open on the issues these updates address. And barring any showstoppers, both releases should become generally available around late-April or early-May. Our Windows agent is actually a bit more "ready", however it is dependent on the Update 2 because of the integration with Veeam backup repositories (and now also cloud repositories), so it cannot be released before said update.
MiniWalks
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Matt Walker

Post by MiniWalks »

Thanks guys,

Do we have RRP Pricing released yet for this?

Kind Regards,
vClintWyckoff
Veteran
Liked: 109 times
Full Name: Clint Wyckoff

Post by vClintWyckoff »

chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

Gostev just said "mid-April" to "early-May".

From his email today:
Here's an update on the upcoming Veeam releases for the next few weeks for your planning purposes. Our QC currently has the release candidate builds of Update 2 for Veeam Backup & Replication 9.5 and Veeam Agent for Windows 2.0 in hand, and are starting the full regression test cycle. If all goes well, we should have the RTM builds around mid-April. This is when our support will start pilot deployments of both products as usual - we will be reaching out to those of you with support cases open on the issues these updates address. And barring any showstoppers, both releases should become generally available around late-April or early-May. Our Windows agent is actually a bit more "ready", however it is dependent on the Update 2 because of the integration with Veeam backup repositories (and now also cloud repositories), so it cannot be released before said update.
Since the agent is more "ready" it should release sooner as I know I am waiting on this to move away from Symantec. Considering the current beta works with Update 1 I don't see why it needs to wait for Update 2? Unless there are new enhancements but if working now why not release it when ready.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, VAW 2.0 GA won’t work with 9.5 U1 due the internal communication logic enhancements.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

I can live with that. Was the BETA version developed to work then with Update 1? Just curious why the Beta would and GA not.

Cannot wait for this to be GA. 8)
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 65 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

Windows agent is actually a bit more "ready", however it is dependent on the Update 2 because of the integration with Veeam backup repositories (and now also cloud repositories)
Does this mean that the VAW will talk to Cloud Connect repositories linked to Veeam instead of forcing individual configuration on each agent?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

You will be able to send backups directly to Cloud Connect but the configuration is per agent (but can be done via API).
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

vmniels wrote:You will be able to send backups directly to Cloud Connect but the configuration is per agent (but can be done via API).
I truly don't understand why Veeam seems to be resisting the concept of central management for these "agents" (VAW isn't actually an agent, it's a free-standing backup product). When VAW was first announced, it was also implied that it would be managed by via the Veeam console. After playing with the beta, it is clear that this still has no centralized management, meaning that a company with 20 physical servers will need to connect to each of the 20 servers to connect to a repository, schedule backups, and check status. In what way does Veeam think that this is a good thing?
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen » 1 person likes this post

We don't resist it. Veeam Availability Console (available later as well) will provide you with the central management you are looking for. Have a look at this info page and there is an API so if wanted you can create your own solution as well.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

vmniels wrote:We don't resist it. Veeam Availability Console (available later as well) will provide you with the central management you are looking for. Have a look at this info page and there is an API so if wanted you can create your own solution as well.
I've watched it multiple times. To be honest, it seems to be a video for semi-vaporware - considering that there doesn't even seem to be a beta for it yet, I'm a little skeptical of the H1 launch date that's been bandied about in the forums. Also, perhaps it's just me, but I would expect "centralized management" to be centralized - having to jump to multiple apps/sites to check simply doesn't seem "centralized" (although 2 apps (Veeam B&R Console and Veeam Availability Console) are still better than checking each server).
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

The reason why this is a standalone solution is because of the fact that not everyone has Veeam Backup & Replication (yet ;-)). If they (for example) run all their VM's in the cloud (like Azure or Amazon) then there is no need for Veeam Backup & Replication and thus they use the agent for Windows/Linux in combination with the console.

Those who have VBR will have the console running next to it but do keep in mind there are other features then just central management which are better in a standalone solution.

In regards to the release date, it is still planned for H1 but everything is subject to change. Veeam always delivers high quality GA versions compared to releasing a "buggy" version compared to other vendors out there ;-).
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

vmniels wrote:Veeam always delivers high quality GA versions compared to releasing a "buggy" version compared to other vendors out there ;-).
Leaving aside the fact that I've hit more issues with 9.5u1 than with any other single release since 8.0, it would be nice to have a beta of the VAC for planning and testing. All we know about it right now is from a (very dry) video from 6 months ago. The fact that we don't even have a beta yet makes me highly doubtful that we're going to hit a H1 release date.
sirjeje
Influencer

Post by sirjeje »

Hello,

We are currently waiting for the release of the GA as we already have some servers backuped by the Agent.
My question is : what will be the process to renew a trial licence for Beta?
Is that possible to already buy some licence for Veeam Agent Server (x10? x20?) ?

Thanks!
nielsengelen
Product Manager

Post by nielsengelen »

Please contact your local sales in terms of buying the licenses for VAW (server edition).
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi,
what will be the process to renew a trial licence for Beta?
There will be no renew process for the license included in the Beta package. Frankly speaking, you just need to replace it with fully functional license.
Is that possible to already buy some licence for Veeam Agent Server (x10? x20?) ?
Sure. As Niels suggested – get it touch with your local sales team.
vClintWyckoff
Veteran

Post by vClintWyckoff »

RubinCompServ wrote: Leaving aside the fact that I've hit more issues with 9.5u1 than with any other single release since 8.0, it would be nice to have a beta of the VAC for planning and testing. All we know about it right now is from a (very dry) video from 6 months ago. The fact that we don't even have a beta yet makes me highly doubtful that we're going to hit a H1 release date.
Sorry for being late to the conversation but there are new demo videos of Veeam Availability Console that are available. I presented the Windows Agent and the Console at Tech Field Day 13 back in February. Take a watch through.

Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows and Veeam Availability Console Demo
levyston
Novice
Full Name: LALLO LEVYSTON ANTONIO ALVES DA COSTA

Post by levyston »

I'was trying to get the VAM in the plubic beta link... but it doesn't work... I put my e-mail but was stoped in this page:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149461377 ... datetaken/
vClintWyckoff
Veteran

Post by vClintWyckoff »

We'll look into this.
-pekr-
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Petr Krenzelok

Post by -pekr- »

Hi,

I am testing Veeam Agent for Windows and wonder, how do I grant free license? It says, mine expires on 1.5.2017 and is preset to Workstation. When I switch to the Free radio button, it changes nothing. When I click Install button, it asks for a file. So - will it expire? Or where can I get a free license?

Thanks,
Petr