ificons
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: ificons

Backup Copy restore points

Post by ificons »

support case ID: 02109917

Hi,
I configured a backup copy job, my purpose is to keep a monthly full backup every month. So, in the target configuration, I set:
- Restore points to keep = 2
- Keep the following restore points as full backups for archival purposes: Monthly backup 12 (1 day of the month)

Is it the correct configuration? Or should I set even "Restore points to keep = 12"?

I'm asking this because it seems that this isn't working properly. For some VMs I have an archival full backup from February and another one from April (it seems that March has been "jumped"). For other I have an archival full backup from March and another one from April (it seems that February has been deleted).

Moreover I see some discrepancy in the Backup Copy Properties window (see the image: https://1drv.ms/i/s!As6ZmW6hPA-8hR64a398lBq-_ph4). For the VM named FAS01 I see:
- A file with Monthly retention with date 12 march 2017 in the "file" section
- No restore point with the same date in the "restore points" section

I hope to have been clear, thank you for help.
Federico
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: Backup Copy restore points

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Federico and welcome to the community!

Can you share settings of the backup job for these VMs (backup mode, retention and so on)?
Also, i'd like to look at schedule and other settings of the backup copy job.
ificons wrote:I'm asking this because it seems that this isn't working properly. For some VMs I have an archival full backup from February and another one from April (it seems that March has been "jumped"). For other I have an archival full backup from March and another one from April (it seems that February has been deleted).
The backup copy job has no data to move, if source repository is missing restore points for certain VMs on a particular day.
ificons wrote:- A file with Monthly retention with date 12 march 2017 in the "file" section
- No restore point with the same date in the "restore points" section
Seems like GFS monthly full backup should be created on the 12 of March (according to schedule), so the backup copy job marks as monthly, for example, the full backup from 04 of March as it's the most recent full on that month.

Thanks!
ificons
Service Provider

Post by ificons »

Hi Dimitry,
thank you for help.

Here you can find the main configuration steps of the FAS01 VM backup job: https://1drv.ms/f/s!As6ZmW6hPA-8hSMmHTi8Q2437UJc

Tell me if you need further informations.
Best regards
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

Thank you for the screenshots.

Please, share the backup copy job configuration too (job interval, schedule). Thanks!
ificons
Service Provider

Post by ificons »

Here it is: https://1drv.ms/f/s!As6ZmW6hPA-8hSSVWhrM8Sid90wP
Thank you again for help,
Federico
DGrinev
Veteran

Post by DGrinev »

According to your settings the backup copy job has less then 2 hours to copy the most recent state of VMs till the copy interval ends.
I'd suggest several restore points are missing because the copy job was interrupted by interval end. If it possible you can try to change the backup job start time from 22:00 to 21:00 (or even 20:00), to be sure that the copy job have enough time for data move.

However, I'd recommend you to continue collaboration with the technical support for a more reliable solution.

Thanks!