Real-time performance monitoring and troubleshooting
ahm_irf
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Irfan

History of the processes' data that are running on Guest OS

Post by ahm_irf »

Does Veeam Monitor maintain the history of the data on processes and services that are currently running inside guest operating systems in VM. In Veeam Monitor, we can see the data on processes using Processes Tab. It could be more useful if one can point out the table in SQL Server schema.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: History of the processes' data that are running on Guest

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Irfan, Processes Tab was intended to be used for real-time troubleshooting, we do not trace changes in Processes list. Could you please elaborate it further, how would you use this information provided that we had it in our SQL database?
ahm_irf
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Irfan

Post by ahm_irf »

I wanna trace how much resources an application or a program consumes for a certain period of time. This would help me to analyze the impact a program can create on a guest OS in terms of memory, I/O and CPU usage. Moreover, I don't wanna install any performance measurement tool inside the OS, since the tool would also consume some system resources and make me unable to find the realistic resource consumption of an application. Thus, Veeam Monitor I guess is doing a great job except this functionality.

Do you know any tool which can provide me this functionality. OR can I get this functionality (i.e. keeping the history of data on each process in a guest OS) in Veeam somehow. Maybe if Veeam could have customization functionality for instance writing a customize script and attaching it with veeam.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Irfan, thanks for clarifications.

Unfortunately, I'm not aware about applications that could trace Guest OS processes in real-time without installing any agent software to keep all the information in DB. As a workaround you could periodically check this information in real-time, as CPU and Memory Usage is usually kept on the same level for Server VMs, which are the most critical in production.

Also I'm not sure there would any spikes, unless you install/remove software applications very often. Even if you do that, you should be able to see the difference in resource usage fairly quickly having logged into Processes Tab.

Hope it helps!