Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
tym
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tim Diekhans

Moving Large Backups between repositories

Post by tym »

Hi,

I am currently moving all backup jobs to a new repository. I know the steps to perform and they are actually working like a charm. However - the biggest backup job is nearly 50TB with a 38TB vbk and a bunch of 500GB vib/vrb. Moving these files takes approx 5 days. 5 days with no backup is not acceptable. Any idea on how I could "smartify" this transfer?

Thanks in advance.
Best,
Tim
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Moving Large Backups between repositories

Post by veremin »

Continue to backup to the original repository, in the meantime create a backup copy job that will gradually create backup chain in target repository. Once the initial and maybe couple of next backup copy cycles are finished, you can switch the backup job from the original to the new backup repository, mapping it to files created by backup copy job.

Keep in mind, that backup copy job doesn't copy backup chain as a whole, but rather synthetically creates required restore points in "target" location from VM data in source backup repositories. So, data contained in the old restore points won't be copied to target location.

Thanks.
tym
Enthusiast

Post by tym »

Hi, just configured this and initial copy is running atm. I did´t understand your last paragraph though. We are doing a synthetic full once a week. Does this mean that the daily incrementals are not copied at all?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I meant that backup copy job (despite its name) doesn't do simple file copy, instead it synthesizes the restore point in target location from VM data in source backup repositories. When initially executed, it will re-create a current VM state captured in the latest backup file, forgetting about its old states present in other backup files. So, don't expect your backup chain to be copied to target location as is.

Kindly, check corresponding User Guide section for more information regarding the said mechanism.
tym
Enthusiast

Post by tym »

Hi, I completed the transfer after a couple of failed attempts. A subsequent incremental was successful, but the transform was not:
08.04.2017 09:38:40 :: Previous full backup chain transformation failed Error: Full point was not found.

What that?

Best,
Tim
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Tim,

It means (for some reason) it cannot find the full backup and can't merge an incremental into a new full. I would advise to contact support now (and post your case ID and follow-up here also) so they can look into the logs what went wrong

Mike