Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
alphinantony
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Alphin Antony

Backup Copy Job statistics discrepancy

Post by alphinantony »

Hi,
i ran a backup job of a vm with 32 GB vdisk, and created a backup copy job for the same backup file. Everything went fine but i found a discrepancy in the backup copy job statistics window under DATA-->Processed , it shows a larger value than the original vdisk size. Also Backup Copy uses WAN Accelerators (without prepopulated) and even at the first run itself it says in the statistics that 1.9 Gb has been obtained from GLOBAL CACHE, and around 1GB from TARGET REPOSITORY. and only 4.5GB transfered over NETWORK. I didnt understand how it happened?
Can anyone please help me figure this out?

Backup Job

Backup Copy Job
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Backup Copy Job statistics discrepancy

Post by Shestakov »

Hi and welcome to the community!
WAN cache works starting from the first run, so looks like out of 6.4 GB which is a size of .vbk on the secondary repository, 1.9GB was taken from cache on fly and 4.5 over the network.
Was it the very first run through that WAN accelerator?
Thanks!
alphinantony
Influencer

Post by alphinantony »

Thank you Shestakov!

Yes it was the very first run, and that's what is confusing me. Initially the global cache and the target repository would be empty(if not pre-populated). Apart from data obtained from cache , it also states in the statistics that 1005.2 MB was obtained from target repository(which is not completely visible in the 2nd screenshot). Without writing anything to the target repository first, how can the WAN accelerator(Target) obtain data from the repository?

Another discrepancy that can be seen in these two screenshots is the value in DATA->Processed, the Backup job has 12.2GB and the Backup Copy job of the same Backup job has 53.0 GB. Actually during Backup Copy job that value stayed close to 12 GB towards the completion and suddenly surged to 53 GB when the job is finished. Is it a bug in gui ?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

This looks like a known issue with processed VM data size display.
alphinantony
Influencer

Post by alphinantony »

But foggy, what about the details about WAN acceleration in the statistics. In the very first run(backup copy job) itself it says it has picked up data from empty global cache and empty target repository. that doesn't add up.
1005.2 MB was obtained from target repository(which is not completely visible in the 2nd screenshot)
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Veeam B&R starts utilizing WAN global cache and target repository right after starting populating them, "on the go".