Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
uncle-bu
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ralf Buderath

multiple RPC-Errors since VBR9.5

Post by uncle-bu »

Hi All,

When reading the Veeam Community Forums Digest messages it sounds like everything is so fine with VBR9.5. Unfortunately I cannot share this experience! All our backups ran fine with VPR9.0. Since we updated to VBR9.5 we got a lot of errors and (except one) all errors are related to RPC server / error code 1722.

Here are some examples:

VM-Backup

Code: Select all

04.12.2016 19:13:49 :: Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Failed to check whether snapshot is in progress (network mode).
RPC function call failed. Function name: [IsSnapshotInProgress]. Target machine: [BAMVIDEO01.intranet.peter-greven.de].
RPC error:Der RPC-Server ist nicht verfügbar.
 Code: 1722  
04.12.2016 19:13:55 :: Error: Failed to check whether snapshot is in progress (network mode).
RPC function call failed. Function name: [IsSnapshotInProgress]. Target machine: [BAMVIDEO01.intranet.peter-greven.de].
MSSQL-Backup

04.12.2016 18:05:57 :: Failed to prepare guest for SQL Server transaction log backup Details: RPC function call failed. Function name: [GuestBlobCall]. Target machine: [BAMMOBILE01.intranet.peter-greven.de].
Tape-Backup

04.12.2016 23:38:56 :: Failed to eject some tapes  
One problem (RPC server / error code 1722 with a different VM) could be solved with Veeam support, but the others are still ongoing. Fact is, that we did NOT have any of these issues while running VBR9.0.

Did Veeam change for example any timing settings in VBR9.5 that can cause these issues?
Does anybody seeing the same issues related to RPC server / error code 1722?

Because we're trying to get rid of these issues without success for some weeks I am thinking about downgrading to VBR9.0 because currently it's extremely frustrating and time consuming!
Is it possible to downgrade to VBR9.0 without doing a complete new installation?
Are there any problems to expect when downgrading from 9.5 to 9.0?

I am really thankful for every hint that helps to reach a stable backup solution as it was before.

Cheers,
Ralf
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: multiple RPC-Errors since VBR9.5

Post by foggy »

Hi Ralf, sorry to hear about your current experience with Veeam B&R 9.5, please continue working with support, I believe they will be able to track the issues down.

Answering your questions regarding downgrade, if you have configuration backup from v9, you can uninstall v9.5, than install v9 and restore configuration backup.
kkroft
Novice
Full Name: Kent

Post by kkroft »

How was this resolved?
nielsengelen
Product Manager
Liked: 1177 times
Full Name: Niels Engelen

Post by nielsengelen »

Best would be to contact support for help if you are facing the same issue.
Personal blog: https://foonet.be
GitHub: https://github.com/nielsengelen
uncle-bu
Novice
Full Name: Ralf Buderath

Post by uncle-bu »

@kkroft and Others,

There wasn't one particular solution for all of the issues we had. I opened 4 or 5 tickets at Veeam support b'cos after updateing to VBR9.5 multiple VMs hat similar issues. We had VMs where the problem disappeared after a while without making any changes. For others we had to step through the following tasks:
1. Please switched off all possible protective software and firewalls in guest and on Veeam.
2. Try telnet to guest_ip 135 port from Veeam server. Please check that rpc server is listening in the quest.
3. Check wbemtest into guest from Veeam. https://www.veeam.com/kb1926
4. Please make sure the c:\Windows\VeeamVSSSupport folder is not present, and Veeam Vss service does not exist inside the guest.
5. Check if DNS of the guest can be resolved into the IP from the Veeam server, and vice versa (short and long name).

And finally I migrated some MS SQL DBs to full restore mode and wrote some MS SQL backup scripts instead of directely backing them up via Veeam. This is because we couldn't find any other solution getting rid of the RPC issue.

Best Regards
Ralf
jamesrrichards
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: James Richards

Post by jamesrrichards » 1 person likes this post

Are you defining the domain user as user@domain.com?

If so try changing it to domain\user

I had the same problem in a lab environment.
rdmtech
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times

Post by rdmtech » 1 person likes this post

Changing the credentials from user@domain.com to domain\user fixed my issue.
NetAdMBC
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by NetAdMBC » 2 people like this post

Making sure to open port 135 did the job here.
eez
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Eise de Vries

Post by eez » 1 person likes this post

For me the same solution in my lab environment:
Changing the credentials from user@domain.com to domain\user fixed my issue.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

[MERGED] Failed to prepare guest for hot backup

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi guys, we're seeing this error on two VMs, which were created by cloning the first one. Domain credentials are correct or else the other backups in the same job should be failing. Any ideas why this is happening? It is finishing the backup ok, just giving a warning each backup.
24/06/2018 10:07:06 p.m. :: Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Details: Failed to check whether snapshot is in progress (network mode).
RPC function call failed. Function name: [IsSnapshotInProgress]. Target machine: [computername.domainname.com].
RPC error:Access is denied.
Code: 5
(Target machine name has been changed for privacy reasons)
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Re: Failed to prepare guest for hot backup

Post by AlexLeadingEdge » 1 person likes this post

I couldn't open a case for this client so called Veeam Support. Case opened as # 03069372
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

While waiting for support team to respond, you can try some of the suggestions above. Thanks.
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Veeam Support says that it is related to this article:

https://www.veeam.com/kb1788