Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dbr
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Daniel Brase

Feature Request - Bandwith allocation recalculation

Post by dbr »

Hi folks,

even though we have used Veeam for many years I'm new to this forum. So please go easy on me. :)

We have a Backup Copy Job that processes one large vm along with several other vms. We use VMware folder to backup our vms and as far as I know processing order is random when using folders and cannot be changed. Unfortunately the large vm is processed almost as last one (Backup and Backup Copy Job). Cause of the large disks all other vms are already finished but the remaining large vm isn't processed with full available bandwith. If I schedule a job with only the affected vm in it, it is processed with almost full speed. Support told me that bandwith allocation calculation is done once per task (case # 02117083). Due to this behavior I would like to suggest a recalculation of bandwith allocation more than once per task. Maybe by default or with configuration via reg key.

Because I cannot change that behavior at this time are there any suggestions to work around this issue except of processing large vm in a separate copy job or add the vm directly to the job an ?

We're using Veeam Backup & Replication 9.0 U2 going to be upgraded to 9.5 U1 this afternoon (hopefully).

Daniel
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Re: Feature Request - Bandwith allocation recalculation

Post by Shestakov »

Hi Daniel and welcome to the forums!
How do you select VMs to process at the backup copy job?
You may set order there.
dbr
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Daniel Brase

Post by dbr »

As mentioned above we use vmware folders only (in backup jobs). I'm aware of the possibility to add vm objects and change the processing order by moving vms to top of the list. But we don't want to use vm object directly for clarity reasons. Anyway, even if I would add the vm directly the problem would still persist. E.g. when the vm is processed at the beginning of a job the bandwith would be still devided equally among the tasks. And if the processing of the first vm takes longer than all other vms, processing would still be limited to the allocated bandwith.

Backup job uses vm folders as job objects.
Backup copy job uses backup job as job object.
Shestakov
Veteran
Liked: 781 times
Full Name: Nikita Shestakov

Post by Shestakov »

I`ve got your point, just suggested a workaround. We will take the request into account.
Thanks!