Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dbr
Expert
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Daniel Brase

Instant Recovery from VeeamZIP backup

Post by dbr »

Hi,

We use VeeamZip in our vm archival process. After a vm is veeamzipped it is removed from vmware inventory and even from Veeam Backups -> Disks (VeeamZip). Afterwards the backup file is manually moved to an archive folder next to the backup repository. In case someone want to check something within the vm after removing it we reimport the backup and we are able to do any restore operation. But if we do an instant recovery in a remote site with an imported VeeamZip backup the backup file is mounted to the Veeam server in local site instead of using the local repository server, proxy server or managed server (from which the backup was imported) as nfs mount point. It seems to me that due to removing the VeeamZip backup from Backups the link to the original repository is lost. So my questions are:

- Is there a way to restore the link to repository assuming that the backup file already resides in a subfolder within a repository? Maybe with generating vbm file for that backup in order to import it as an ordinary backup?
- Perhaps it would be an option to mount the VeeamZip file to the managed server as importing backups is only possible through managed servers anyway!?

Using VB&R 9.5 U1.

Daniel
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Instant Recovery from VeeamZIP backup

Post by foggy »

Hi Daniel, what kind of repository it is? For CIFS repository, Veeam B&R backup server is always selected as mount server.
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr »

We use Windows repository servers only. But it shouldn't matter because even in CIFS repository there is an option to configure a remote site mount server. If I start an Instant Recovery from an ordinary imported backup (not imported VeeamZip) the server is used that is configured as mount server in repository (no matter if CIFS or Windows repository is used). That I've expected. But if you try this with an imported Veeamzip there's no link to a repository and therefore no link to the mount server configured in repository. Well, back to my questions above. It would be great to create a vbm from scratch in order to handle the Veeamzip like an ordinary backup, or just use the managed server (from which the backup was imported) as a mount server by default. As far as I know last one is not possible yet and this would end in a feature request. But in the meantime maybe I can work around this issue? Any suggestions?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Just checked, right, it is the fact that it is an imported VeeamZIP backup that plays role here. Such backups do not have VBM and are not tied to the repository, so backup server is always selected as mount server for them. You can review this thread regarding VBM creation.
dbr
Expert

Post by dbr »

Thank you Alex, I'll give it a try. But wouldn't it be an idea for future versions to be able to map a veeamzip to a specific mount server or manually change the default mount server?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, we can file this as a feature request. Thanks.