Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ama
Novice
Liked: never

Restore files from Windows 2016 deduplicated volume

Post by ama »

Hello,

I have a file server Windows 2016 Standard with deduplication enabled on one volume. Backup is going well but i get an error message when i try to restore files (guest file level restore) :

07-04-17 12:02:42 Error Failed to restore "H:\ap_doc" Error: Failed to read 262144 bytes from the file [\\?\C:\VeeamFLR\FS01_5fe3b846\Volume3\ap_doc\01ain\01OLD\02Logistic\01Availability\GO Contract Functional.docx].
Win32 error:The revision level is unknown.
Code: 1305

If i open folder in explorer (The Veeam option) and try to copy one file i get this error :

error 0x80070519: The revision level is unknown.

My Veeam server 9.5 is Windows 2012 R2 Standard with deduplication role installed and deduplication service running ...

Any advise on how to restore Windows deduplicated files ?

Thank you.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Restore files from Windows 2016 deduplicated volume

Post by foggy »

Just use some Windows 2016 server with Deduplication feature enabled as a mount server for this repository. Windows 2012 R2 doesn't understand the format.
ama
Novice

Post by ama »

Thank you foggy, it works.
Hoegimator
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Joerg Renggli

Post by Hoegimator »

Hello Veeam-Friends

I have a quick question. We have also a fileserver Win2016 with deduplication feature enabled, the Veeam B&R v9.5 is installed on a Win2016 with deduplication feature enabled, the backup repository (mount point) is a Win2012r2 with deduplication feature enabled. We can restore deduped files from fileserver Win2012r2, but not from the fileserver Win2016.

I guess the repository (the mount point on the restore process) has to be a Win2016 Server? Is that right?

Thanks a lot
Joerg
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Joerg,

The mount server has to be a Win2016 server. By default the backup repository itself is the mount server but you can edit the settings on the repository to change the mount server to another server.

Can you try that and let us know if it works?
Hoegimator
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Joerg Renggli

Post by Hoegimator »

Hi Mike

I forgot that you can choose the mounting server on a repository and YES that way the restore worked.

Thanks for pointing that out.
Joerg
radoslaw
Novice
Full Name: Radosław Czajkowski

[MERGED] deduplication on windows 2012 r2

Post by radoslaw »

Hi guys,

I have a file server on Windows 2012 R2. I want to enable deduplication on this server. I also make veeam backups of the vmware virtual machine. Will I have any problems when later I would want to restore some files from a veeam backup?
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Re: deduplication on windows 2012 r2

Post by DGrinev »

Hi Radosław and welcome to the community!

In order to successfully restore files from deduplicated volume, your mount server, which is repository by default should have deduplication feature enabled.
Please review this thread for additional information. Thanks!
nunciate
Expert
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: Alan Wells

Post by nunciate »

Just thought I would chime in on this thread. I had this issue for the first time today and spent a couple of hours pulling my hair out even after reading this thread.

FYI, The above fix only works if you are using the Restore To option and not the Copy to option. I use copy to because it is faster most times. I must have pulled up that FLR 2 dozen times before I found another article talking about doing a Restore To instead.
DGrinev
Veteran
Liked: 247 times
Full Name: Dmitry Grinev

Post by DGrinev »

Hey Alan,

Thank you for the clarification, it is useful info for further readers!
JT980
Lurker

Post by JT980 »

Hello, I am facing a similar problem. Can someone explain what a "mount server" is? I have Veeam installed on Windows 2012. I am backing up a 2012 file server with DeDup enabled. The file server is a vmWare VM. The backup repository is an HP SureStore - this is a Linux based storage device that also does deduplication. The backup completes, but I get errors when restoring. When going through a restore, I don't see any option to select a "mount server." Thanks!
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hey JT980,

First: Welcome to the forums!
Second:
The definition of a mount server can be found here:
VMware: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4
Hyper-V: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... l?ver=95u4
In short for your case, the mount server will use the backup file to "mount it" so it can read the data and show it to you so you can do item level recovery.

I am guessing that you have a single Veeam server with all the different roles on it. Normally the repository server is the mount server by default when it is windows. In case of a Linux repository, it becomes the Veeam server. In this case I think the Veeam server will be the acting mount server and what I am guessing now is that it can't succeed the restore because it can't read the data correctly because of the windows server 2012 dedup. Enabling the windows server 2012 deduplication role on your Veeam server (you don't need to actually dedupe something, just enable the role) will make that server capable of reading the data and restore it correctly.

Let us know if that works
Mike
kr.juric
Lurker
Full Name: Kresimir Juric

Post by kr.juric »

Hello, I enabled DeDupe on File server, and just DeDupe role on Veeam server, and have a question:
If I look at properties on a File Server folder (that I know has a lot of deduped data) - so right click - properties, and also I look at latest Veaam backup before dedupe has been set in File Explorer, find same folder and right click - Properties, should I get the same data? you know, size, size on disk, containing same number of files and folder?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Hi Kresimir, I believe that the 'Size' metrics should be similar since the logical data size hasn't changed, while 'Size on disk' should reflect the difference coming from data deduplication.