Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sunshineknox
Influencer
Liked: never

Backup to Tape

Post by sunshineknox »

I'm in the middle of configuring Veeam Backup and so far I'm loving the backup to disk. We are an organization that has to backup to tape for off site. I need some real life implementations for getting files to tape. We currently are using CA to backup to tape. I'd like to keep everything local on our Veeam server, so it won't traverse the network. How are companies getting their backups to tape? Can Veeam handle this if I was to attach a tape device? I would love to hear what other companies are doing. All information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sunshine
ec-inflxx
Enthusiast

Re: Backup to Tape

Post by ec-inflxx »

I actually just asked the same question except I am using Backup Exec. I don't think Veeam supports writing directly to tape. They have an area that you can check off if you have a script that will kick start a backup to tape. Which is the help I am looking for as I am not really familiar with scripting but need to write backups to tape for off site as well.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

sunshineknox
Influencer

Post by sunshineknox »

Very Cool. thanks. Now I just got to figure out the command syntax to do this with CA Arcserve 12.5. I thought I had it with ca_backup.exe, but isn't as easy as Backup exec. How I love CA..... If anyone knows the command syntax with CA, please post. I will post when I get the syntax down.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6714 times

Post by Gostev »

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\CA\ARCserve Backup>ca_backup" -source backuptape -filesystem e:\MainServers –tape TAPEMEDIA -username domain\user –password ********

-source: specifies which source server from where to backup from
-filesystem: the folders to include
-tape or -mediapool: instructs the job to use a tape drive or a mediapool
-username: specifies a username with enough privileges to perform the backup
-password: password for the user