Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
AWeber
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alexander Weber

Connect Tape Library to VM

Post by AWeber »

Hello,

as I am finishing my Training I startet my final Project. It's about setting up the Backup for our old Domain.
I decided to use VEEAM Backup Free Edition and maybe upgrade to a full version if it works fine.
It' installed on an Virtual Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter Server. We are using an HP StorageWorks MSL2024 as Tape Library.
My current Problem is that the VM doesn't recognize the Library. The HPE Library and Tape Tools are installed on the Server.
Is there any possibility to connect it via Network?
Do i really need an seperate Tape Server?
If you need any more Informations, just ask for it.
I am sorry for my bad english. I hope I wrote that in the right thread.

Thanks for your help.

Greetings,
Alex
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Connect Tape Library to VM

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

It' installed on an Virtual Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter Server. We are using an HP StorageWorks MSL2024 as Tape Library.
My current Problem is that the VM doesn't recognize the Library.
How is library connected to Virtual Machine? ISCSI, pass-through?
AWeber
Novice

Post by AWeber »

I am sorry if that wasn't clear. Thats the actual problem I don't have any idea how to connect the Tape Library to the VM.
We are already using the Tape library on an old Physical Server. I can't figure out how it's connected...
The ISCSI-Initiator shows no entrys at all. May i somehow figure out how a device is connected over the device Manager?
This system has been set up by an external Company so I don't have anyone to ask.

Greetings,
Alex
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

I don't think that your device support ISCSI actually. So, you have to connect it to a Windows-based physical server via SCSI, FC or SAS (corresponding instructions can be found on device manufacturer page) , assign a tape server role to that machine (backup console) and then leverage it as a target for tape jobs.
AWeber
Novice

Post by AWeber »

Problemsovolved thanks Eremin. :)

I will just manually backup to anothere Server which perfoms the Tape Job.
While doing that i got anothere confusing error:

Code: Select all

13.04.2017 14:55:16 :: Processing srv-curator1 Error: Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden
Failed to open file [\\SERVERXYZ\04_Backup_NFUEMCBACKUP\srv-curator1D2017-04-13T145443.vbk] in readonly mode.
This error appears while creating the Backup. The file is already created and it just stops at ~ 30 MBs.
Both the User i use for Veeam and the User I am signed in with have the perimisson to read and write in the folder.

Greetings Alex
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Not sure whether I'm following you. Did you execute a source backup job while a tape one was running, as the result the job was interrupted?
AWeber
Novice

Post by AWeber »

hey ermin,

at the moment no tape job is running. I am just trying to make a Backup of a VM to another Server in the Network.
What I am doing step by step:

1. Selecting the VM I like to Backup.
2. Right click it and select "VeeamZIP..."
3. Enter the Destination Path to the Server I'd like to have the backup on
4. selecting the correct Credentiels with which I can accsess the Destination over UNC-Pathes and also write there
5. Press ok

Afterwards it starts the Job and runs it till it crashes at the point after Changed block tracking is enabled with the error mentioned above.
When I take a look in the Destination there is a file created with 30.844 KB.

Hope that was more clear. If you need any further Information or Screenshots, just ask.

Greetings,
Alex
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The similar issue was reported several years ago and was fixed approximately at that time.

So, in your case it must be something different, say, some temporary network problem to the share or some activity on it blocking resulting backup file.

For the sake of testing I'd try to backup to different location and see how it goes. Anyway, if you're stuck with this issue, it might be worth reaching our support team for further investigation.

Thanks.
AWeber
Novice

Post by AWeber »

Thanks Eremin! :)
The Problem has been solved. I had to add the User to the Admin Group on the Server and not just allow him to access the Share.

Thanks and Greetings
Alex
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hmm, I thought if an account is lacking corresponding permissions, you will get an error (something like "Access denied") almost immediately, not when a backup file has been created.

Anyway, thank you for sharing the solution found; appreciated.